"The Mekong Delta Monkey Blues & the Special Room" Top 5 Page for this destination Can Tho by richiecdisc
Can Tho Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 281 photos
The Mekong River is a thing so entrenched in folklore that it is often hard to ascertain just how integral it is to local life that busies itself along its considerable flow. Emanating from the Tibetan Plateau and running through China, Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, Lao and Vietnam, it finds ample room to expand in the Mekong Delta before releasing itself fully out to the South China Sea.
Though there are many opportunities for travelers to explore the vast Mekong River, in each of the emerging Southeast Asian tourist destinations, the Mekong Delta region seems the most ripe for exploration. Once a stronghold of the Khmer kingdom, Vietnam now has control over it, and its considerable economic influence. So rich is the flat, though luxuriant landscape that it manages to teem with wildlife alongside a farming industry that runs the gamut from tropical fruit orchards to one of the world’s most vast producers of rice. Western tourists would flock here if it was in a pristine wilderness state, but this could not be the case in a country that would struggle to feed itself without its development. As it is, the Mekong Delta not only produces enough rice to feed the entire country with a surplus for neighboring countries, but it contains a myriad of other smaller industries that provide jobs for locals and one of the country’s strongest economic bases.
The icing on the cake is it has managed to draw tourists as well. It remains a physically beautiful place with a sizeable wildlife population but what people are coming to see are the people themselves. An industrious lot that know how to make a living from the water-entrenched land in what still seems relative harmony with their lush surroundings. They also understand the fine line of offering goods to a growing customer base in the form of tourists without being overly aggressive. But perhaps its most saleable gift is the locals themselves. They seem a very happy people, living what appears a paradisiacal life amongst the flowing rich waterways and fruit rich land. Beaming smiles come naturally from kids and adults alike and so far, not many seem to have learned the all too common art of exchanging money for such natural offerings. Let’s hope it stays that way.
The biggest attractions in the Mekong Delta are the various floating markets. It is here that you will see what life in... more travel advice
Not all the factories were fun but even this rice popping facility was interesting. It was surely a hot place to work... more travel advice
- See All the last place I expected a mosque
- they always get you at the border
- Sinh Cafe
- all is available on the water in the...
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Can Tho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Mekong Delta Monkey Blues & the Special Room"
- "The Gate To the MEKONG DELTA"
- "Hello! Welcome to Can Tho"
- "Can Tho and Mekong Delta"
- "Mekong Delta"
- "The Mekong Delta - Can Tho"
- "Can Tho"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Can Tho
- Hotels in Can Tho
- Transportation in Can Tho
- Restaurants in Can Tho
- Shopping in Can Tho
- Warnings and Dangers in Can Tho
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Can Tho
- 21 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Can Tho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Can Tho
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Need recommendations in..."
- Commented on one of atobol's Can Tho travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mekong Delta Monkey Blues"
- updated a Can Tho Travel Page "The Mekong Delta Monkey Blues & the Special Room"
- Wrote a Review have a pineapple or two in Can Tho Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos