"On the Embodiment of Vietnam: Hoi An" Top 5 Page for this destination Hoi An by richiecdisc
Hoi An Travel Guide: 802 reviews and 1,717 photos
Sometimes all it takes is a little sun to make a street, a flower, or a whole country look better. Hoi An offered just that and a whole lot more too. Vietnam had been a disappointment up to this point and even admitting that high expectations had played a big part in this perception, there was no denying it. Hanoi had been a rude introduction and dreary weather on the northern part of the coast had done little to lift our spirits. Tropical Vietnam seemed an oxymoron before the sun finally rose in this, the country’s most charming town. But to reduce the allure of this World Heritage Site Old Town to mere golden rays would be to do it a great disservice. It is quite simply the embodiment of all you imagine Vietnam to be.
Spared from ravage by the “American” war, Hoi An’s old town is a fantastic jumble of early 19th century traditional wood and French Colonial cement. The bric-a-brac effect makes for great photographic opportunities not lost on the equally hodgepodge mix of tourists that flock here daily. Throw in a bustling market place, a white sandy beach and ample palm trees, and the recipe for Vietnam incarnate is set. But the icing on the cake is the still integral river life that forms the heart and soul of this still authentic city, where old women in all too picturesque conical hats diligently row archaic wooden boats to make their morning purchases. With all these attractions, it would be easy to assume you are in VietDisney but somehow it has as of yet managed to evade such misaligned distinction. Doesn’t a visit to Hoi An seem to be in order? But hurry, the developers are closing in fast.
Hoi An is a real hodgepodge when it comes to architecture. Evidence of its past as the first Chinese settlement in south... more travel advice
One of Hoi An's biggest attractions, this Japanese built bridge dates back in various incarnations to 1593 and contrasts... more travel advice
- See All good for them, good for us
- action photography
- See All colorful local markets
- See All paid for photogenic attributes
- the bus, the train and some boats
- market photography
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Hoi An Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Embodiment of Vietnam: Hoi An"
- "Hoi An 22/3/08 to 25/3/08"
- "A charming piece of History"
- "UNESCO HERITAGE Site..a Vietnamese HIGHLIGHT..."
- "The old town of Hoi An"
- "A living museum - Hoi An, Central Vietnam"
- "Vietnam's Living Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoi An
- Hotels in Hoi An
- Transportation in Hoi An
- Nightlife in Hoi An
- Restaurants in Hoi An
- Shopping in Hoi An
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoi An
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoi An
- 31 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Hoi An?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoi An
Photos in Hoi AnSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos