"Seeing Eye to Eye with Bangkok" Bangkok by richiecdisc

Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,366 reviews and 23,038 photos

Bangkok is a feast for the eyes, nose and ears; it bombards you as soon as you set foot there. Brash and unashamed, it mixes old world temples with modern day chaos, all the while remaining perhaps the most interesting of big Asian cities. Sexually infamous, its spicy culinary delicacies often get lost in the visual assault of neon lights and tight skirted escorts of either gender. The whiff of spices entice you in every direction at once and soon you find yourself planted at low plastic tables, a tad too close to the occasional passing rat, sharing your dining area. Gold laden temples scream of wanton wealth in the shadow of sheer glass skyscrapers announcing the city’s arrival from the third world. Old World markets blissfully remind you they have not quite escaped with pungent aromas of another era, fruits of an alarming array of shapes and colors, and a bustling commerce centered on the age-old custom of haggling. Everyone you meet is on their way to somewhere else, ready to escape this madness, but something tells you they’ll not soon forget this city that never sleeps. Return? You must. I did, I do, I will.

• Last visit to Bangkok: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2005

Travelogues (1)

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Ritchie, glad to hear about your positive experience at the Thai hospital. Also, I knew I could count on you for some great food and beer tips! Best from New Jersey, Bill

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2006 at 3:29 AM

Interesting tip. I think I would leave out the pork meatballs and the raw egg....

• Sep 1, 2006 at 1:33 PM

I love Bangkok!! Nikos

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2006 at 3:56 AM

Great tips :) I'll be in Bangkok for a couple of nights soon...can't wait :)

• IrishFem's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 7:34 AM

That porridge sounds delicious. Think l might try to make it myself!! Greeting from Sunny Dublin. Louise

• Peter4's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 10:56 AM

Well-written introduction to Bangkok. You've captured the exotic dimension!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2006 at 6:57 AM

Always love reading your pages Richie and this one brings me right back to being in Bangkok! Dreaming of a new Asian trip, now all I need is time and the budget for it, lol ;-) I've only been in Bangkok once, but will I return? Yes!!! :-))

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2005 at 5:27 PM

I enjoyed seeing Bangkok through your eyes :) p.s. hot rice porridge is among my favorites for breakfast.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2005 at 6:08 PM

What an exciting city Bangkok must be ! All those smells in the air of spices :-) Wonderful page - and yessir, wilco and I go to bed now :-)

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2005 at 3:28 PM

Fantastic page! I can't wait to go to Bangkok as part of my honeymoon... :) Very exciting!

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Bangkok

Have you been to Bangkok?

Latest Activity in Bangkok