Luang Prabang Transportation Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination
Luang Prabang Transportation: 67 reviews and 80 photos
just waiting for you
Jumbos are like a cross between a small pickup truck and a motorcycle or a more meaty version of Thailand’s Tuk-Tuk. You can put a fair amount of people in them though to charter one on your own is not the cheapest option of getting from point A to B. We paid 80,000 Kip ( about ten dollars) for a one hour trip to the village of Pak Au. The driver waited for us while we wandered around the small village and made a boat trip over to visit the caves.
the slow boat to Laos
Luang Prabang is not the most accessible place to visit. If you want to fly in, your options are limited to flying back and forth between it and the capital of Vientianne. VIP buses have been known to be held up by bandits so local buses seem a better choice. So, if you are faced with such decisions, it seems a no brainer to make your initial entry to the magical city by boat. You can come in from Northern Thailand on a two day trip that stops over in Pak Beng for about 25 dollars if you manage to avoid paying commission to touts on both sides of the border. It’s a scenic trip and worth the inconvenience and lack of comfort for a couple days. See my Laos page for more details on this trip down the Mekong River.
More Reviews (29)
- See All Hop a small boat to Pak Au Cave
- a true Lao place to stay
- See All Sugar cane drinks
- Tropical sunsets set the mood
- A quiet little park
- A fun show but at a price
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Luang Prabang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It Really is the Jewel of the Jewel of SE Asia"
- "Luang Prabang: The Cheeky Monk"
- "A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles"
- "World Heritage wonderland."
- "IMPREXXION: LUANG PRABANG"
- "Luang Prabang ~ Charming Town By the Mekong River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luang Prabang
- Hotels in Luang Prabang
- Transportation in Luang Prabang
- Nightlife in Luang Prabang
- Restaurants in Luang Prabang
- Shopping in Luang Prabang
- Warnings and Dangers in Luang Prabang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luang Prabang
- 31 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Luang Prabang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luang Prabang
Photos in Luang PrabangSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos