Luang Prabang Warnings Or Dangers Tips by richiecdisc Top 5 Page for this destination

Luang Prabang Warnings and Dangers: 26 reviews and 20 photos

What remained of the spoils - Luang Prabang

What remained of the spoils

Sometimes, you should just say no

I had read about sweet coconut rice inside a banana leaf and wanted to try it but when I asked for one at a local shop, I was surprised at how expensive it seemed for just rice. When the woman brought out my little surprise package with a small clever, I wondered what it was for. When I opened it, I found a piece of meat rather than the expected sweet delight. It explained the price somewhat but what lie before me was a nearly pickled meat mixed with onions. Rather than look stupid, I chopped it up with the clever like I’d been doing it for years. I had a bite and was surprised at how tasty it was but Doreen said I should not eat it. It was obviously only cooked by the heat of being inside the banana leaf and the pickled aspect was probably more like a process of fermentation! Needless to say, I was not feeling all that well that night. Sometimes, you should just learn to walk away from a local delicacy.

• Written Dec 6, 2004
not for the squeamish - Luang Prabang

not for the squeamish

Not for the squeamish

Walking through the local markets is an experience even if you are not looking to actually buy anything. You will find locals bartering for items you might not think are of any value. And you might find that what one culture values just might make you sick. I love it myself but Doreen hates the smell of fish markets and the head of a pig is never high on her list of things to see.

• Updated Dec 6, 2004

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Luang Prabang

Have you been to Luang Prabang?

Latest Activity in Luang Prabang