"Finding the Balance in Battambang" Top 5 Page for this destination Battambang by richiecdisc
Battambang Travel Guide: 238 reviews and 700 photos
All major travel destinations have their namesake attractions. They couldn’t pack in the tourists if they didn’t. But often times it is the lesser known places that separate the more exotic locations from their more mainstream counterparts. These quiet backwaters resist the change that inevitably comes with the hordes of tourists and offer a glimpse into the country that initially drew the intrepid traveler there in the first place. Cambodia has grown heaps and bounds with the world’s discovery of World Heritage Site Angkor Wat. It is justifiably one of the great attractions in all of Southeast Asia, joining the world ranks of iconic sights such as the Pyramids, Great Wall of China, and Machu Picchu. Within the region, it is fast becoming the Eiffel Tower of the East. With this recognition however comes the danger of Cambodia losing some of its authenticity, but luckily this has had little effect away from the eye of the storm that surrounds the Khmer Kingdom ruins. A case in point is Battambang. This relic ode to French Colonialism offers not only one of the best preserved examples of that era, but also the small town feel you expect to encounter in Cambodia as a rule.The true bonus however is the village life that is a mere stone’s throw away, be it by motorcycle, jeep or boat. The combined effect makes Battambang well worth the slight detour it requires to visit. You have come halfway around the world to see Angkor Wat. Take the few extra steps to see Cambodia while you’re there.
Fruit shakes are a real treat in Cambodia. A lot of travelers shy away from them as they are made with ice but I never... more travel advice
Life on the river seems quite idyllic though I’m sure it’s not as simple as it looks. Still, it’s quite amazing to see... more travel advice
- Cambodia's most scenic boat trip
- See All Wat Kampheng
- See All Wat Damrey Sar
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Battambang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Finding the Balance in Battambang"
- "Battambang - the town that awakes at rush hour"
- "Camboya en Torrelavega"
- "First "off the beaten path""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Battambang
- Hotels in Battambang
- Transportation in Battambang
- Nightlife in Battambang
- Restaurants in Battambang
- Shopping in Battambang
- Warnings and Dangers in Battambang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Battambang
- 17 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Battambang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Battambang
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos