"Pardon Phnom Penh" Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh by richiecdisc
Phnom Penh Travel Guide: 1,553 reviews and 4,152 photos
Phnom Penh offers a chaotic sensory assault with its odd mix of gentle Asian beauty and raucous Wild West sensibilities. From the clandestine tourist areas to the squalor of its backstreets, one is constantly confronted with obscene displays of wealth and those of abject poverty. It’s an unlikely place to see so many SUVs but that is just what you find along with a ragtag conglomerate of amputees, beggars, and street urchins that you soon come to appreciate as more a true indictor of the condition of the economy than the shiny luxury vehicles cruising by. Just when you are ready to write off the Cambodian capital as corrupt beyond pardoning, you cannot help but notice the helpful and friendly everyday citizen. It’s the person frying up that plate of noodles or blending up your fruit shake with a beaming smile that shines from within and in no way is a mere enticement for your business. Phnom Penh is full of the requisite tourist sights and amenities that travelers crave when out on the road. But when it’s all said and done, and you are back home looking at your much sought after photos, it’s the smiles you never captured that you now look back on as your fondest memory of a city trying desperately to become an integral part of Southeast Asian tourism.
One thing we did not like in Phnom Penh was how we felt walking around at night. It was fine hanging out at the market... more travel advice
We only ventured out one night while in Phnom Penh, to meet a fellow traveler we had met on the Mekong Delta trip that... more travel advice
- See All Independence Monument
- walk, don't torture an elephant
- the boat from Saigon to Phnom Penh
- money for Buddhas
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Phnom Penh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pardon Phnom Penh"
- "A City of Contrasts"
- "Phnom Penh Cambodia"
- "Phnom Penh"
- "Kingdom of Cambodia's Capitol City"
- "Images of Phnom Penh"
- "A stop on the way"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phnom Penh
- Hotels in Phnom Penh
- Transportation in Phnom Penh
- Nightlife in Phnom Penh
- Restaurants in Phnom Penh
- Shopping in Phnom Penh
- Warnings and Dangers in Phnom Penh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Phnom Penh
- 26 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Phnom Penh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phnom Penh
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: PDF function from trip..."
- Commented on one of atobol's Phnom Penh travel pages
- updated a Phnom Penh Travelogue "The Royal Palace"
- Uploaded a Photo to "money for Buddhas"
- Wrote a Review masked men make to be avoided about From dusk till dawn in Phnom Penh Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Phnom PenhSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 125 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 50 reviews, 143 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 54 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 53 reviews, 103 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 58 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 73 reviews, 74 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos
- Dresden Intro, 53 reviews, 87 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympic National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos