"Pardon Phnom Penh" Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh by richiecdisc

Phnom Penh Travel Guide: 1,459 reviews and 3,835 photos

Phnom Penh offers a chaotic sensory assault with its odd mix of gentle Asian beauty and raucous Wild West sensibilities. From the clandestine tourist areas to the squalor of its backstreets, one is constantly confronted with obscene displays of wealth and those of abject poverty. It’s an unlikely place to see so many SUVs but that is just what you find along with a ragtag conglomerate of amputees, beggars, and street urchins that you soon come to appreciate as more a true indictor of the condition of the economy than the shiny luxury vehicles cruising by. Just when you are ready to write off the Cambodian capital as corrupt beyond pardoning, you cannot help but notice the helpful and friendly everyday citizen. It’s the person frying up that plate of noodles or blending up your fruit shake with a beaming smile that shines from within and in no way is a mere enticement for your business. Phnom Penh is full of the requisite tourist sights and amenities that travelers crave when out on the road. But when it’s all said and done, and you are back home looking at your much sought after photos, it’s the smiles you never captured that you now look back on as your fondest memory of a city trying desperately to become an integral part of Southeast Asian tourism.

• Last visit to Phnom Penh: Feb 2004
  • Intro Written Mar 29, 2005

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Huh, it seems I missed those pages and I was curious to check them out as two of my colleagues are touring this country at the moment. The boat trip is an excellent idea.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM

The ice sounds tempting but my stomach is not reliable LOL

• Nov 11, 2008 at 4:45 AM

Phnom Penh is in my travel plans! A lot of information in your website! Graet job!

• fivesilver's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 6:28 AM

Looks really interesting - who's the tour operator or how can I find them?

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2006 at 5:48 PM

well, well, as always, great, helpful, informative tips....I once had an 'episode' with fermented fish sauce as well (in Luang Prabang) but luckily was close to my guesthouse. have a great traveling 2007!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 10:36 AM

Next fantastic page. I would love to arrive in town via the Mekong Delta boat tour. Excellent and abd very informative restaurant tips as usual!

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2006 at 9:10 PM

Thank you for your practical and articulate advice. I enjoy all of your tips - and feel that I have learned a lot in preparation for a trip. Prefer not to learn the hard way :(

• Jasen71's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2005 at 12:58 PM

Great Pages! I wish I was a member of VT years ago when I was in Cambodia

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2005 at 5:25 AM

Great Page Richie, it was honourably and deservedly recommended! I concur with that opinion. hugs, Pam :-))

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 8:08 PM

Very well written pages. I know exactly how you felt at Tuol Sleng and I agree that it is a must-do. I'm not much of a fan of Cambodia, but I'm glad I went.

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Badges & Stats in Phnom Penh

Have you been to Phnom Penh?

Latest Activity in Phnom Penh