"time to get back to making some pages" richiecdisc's Profile

a totally revamped Salzburg page

Salzburg
was a town that always seemed to elude me. I finally got there in 2004 to meet up with VTer Sandy Smith but the weather was dismal so it was great taking my Dad and sister there on a very sunny (if a bit hot) day when they were recently here.

Neuschwanstein

Another place Müncheners don't get to often is Neuschwanstein. VT fave Ingrid once abhorred the place but now loves it. I mostly like what's around it aside from every other tourist in Germany but with my Dad and sister in town there was no way to not go there. So, a little page is coming.

A dream comes true at Andechs

It’s been such a long time since I’ve built a page here on VT. Those who know me probably have wondered and quit wondering how I could possibly have written so many pages and then just stopped. Well, I only stopped writing. I’ve still been traveling and taking heaps of photos. In fact, I think I’m a better photographer now than I ever was but for me, no words meant no pages. Perhaps I lost my motivation or more likely, inspiration. Last summer, my Dad and sister visited Doreen and I in our new home in Munich. It was my sister’s first ever trip to Europe and my Dad’s first in over 20 years. He was 86 at the time and anyone who had the pleasure to meet him on that trip could only shake their heads at how youthful and alive he was (and still is!). Though I have bits and pieces (and tons of photos) of pages for Portugal and Barcelona that would predate this chronologically, I’m going to return with some memories of the things I did with my Dad last summer. It was an emotional time that I couldn’t not put into words what the photos readily show: just now close we are. It’s time to put the two together and for me there’s no better place to document it than back here at home, back here on VT. Hope you enjoy.
First up will be a page about the day he arrived. Despite his first transatlantic flight in over 20 years, his age of 86 and not having slept one wink on the flight, he was game to head to Andechs monastery for some beer and Bavarian specialties.

On Finally Making it to Marvelous Mittenwald

With my Dad in Europe for the first time in decades, there was no time to rest. Being of Italian heritage he had someone never been to Italy. Since we wanted to show him a lot of our new hometown of Munich and its immediate surroundings, there wasn’t enough time to bring him to the area of his ancestry in the far south, so we figured going over the Alps would have to suffice. If found one of the time ten scenic train trips in Europe going from Munich to Bolzano and our first port of call was Mittenwald so a revamped version of this page is now in place.

Doreen gets a special nod for making my Dad and sister's trip even more special. She went out of her way to welcome and show them her home country. It's no wonder my Dad is returning again this summer.

More Ups than Downs in Innsbruck

Next stop en route to Bolzano was Innsbruck. To be honest, I had no real desire to go there but it was a convenient stopover, included in the train price and would be my Dad’s first taste of Austria too. What we found was a charming small city with a nice mix of architecture, good food and about the best gelato I’ve ever had.

On arriving unscathed in Bolzano

Bolzano was an emotional stop for us all. Though not the most Italian of Italian cities, it was still Italy and though initially a bit disappointing to my father, who had been more enamored with the squeaky clean towns of Mittenwald and Innsbruck, it great on us all and stays with me to this day.

Coming soon: Nürnberg

One place I had to take my Dad and sister while here was my favorite of all German towns, Bamberg so a Franconia trip was devised and on our way we stopped in Nürnberg.

coming soon: Zugspitze

Though the Zugspitze is expensive and not generally my Dad's cup of tea, it was one of the true highlights of his visit to Germany. He had never truly been IN the mountains before and we picked an absolute gorgeous day to do it.

• Intro Updated Oct 29, 2014

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Happy Fourth of July, my Munich sweeties!!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Richie, thanks for your visit to my Versailles page. I liked the beef stew, but also the palace and especially the performance in the Royal Opera. And I finally found out a few things about Catinat, who was not your normal seventeenth century military commander. It turns out that Catinat, like his friend Vauban, was one of the few who cared about the safety and welfare of the troops under his command, rather than his own personal 'glory':

May 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Always thought those that wage war should be in the font lines. I imagine there would be a lot less of them.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Ciao Richie! (well you gotta practice!) I wouldn't know how to put stuff for you on a VT Message so I sent it to your personal eMail address. Hope you're still using that same old addy... Let me know ok? Saluti. (Free language lessons!)

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:57 AM

Got it, Lou. Thanks! Just back from visiting D's family for Easter so haven't have a proper look at it but sure it will all be helpful.

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Great. Hope you both had a good Easter. I had friends over, beautiful day Easter Sunday, sunrays feel good at this time :-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Great that you are back writing pages Richie! I'm looking forward to read about your visits with family in Germany/Austria and Italy!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2014 at 5:55 AM

Hurray - Richie is back :-)) Thanks dear!!

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:01 AM

Nice to be back and looking forward to catching up on some of everyone's new musings.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Hello my friend! Haven't forgotten you at all! Just slightly overtaken by stuff here. Will write you in next few days. Best to you and doreen.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Just back from Florida, Lou. Had a great three weeks in the amazing winter weather there so haven't been thinking too much about Italy lately. My Dad will be over in about eleven weeks.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Hi Richie, Wishing you a Merry Christmas and the happiest of New Years! Hugs to you and Doreen! :-)

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Thanks, Simone, Just back to Munich (and the Internet!). Had a lovely time up at Doreen's Mom's. Hope yours was nice and wishing you a great 2014!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Thanks, Dee. Just back from Christmas time with D's family (with no Internet!). Hope yours was lovely and wishing you the best in 2014!

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Ahhh finally I can say hello Richie! live from Montréal. Gruss! (what do you actually say for "all the best" or a friendly goodbye greeting?

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Haha..in Munich, they use Servus for everything. It's the Bavarian Caio. Viele Grüss always seems a little girly to me. Off to Bamberg in three hours! Guess I should start getting ready.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM

hope you'll get your smoky beer this time! Have fun!

• Imaginery's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Hi! I see you came to VietNam and I would like to add your VietNam page to mine :). Would you please inbox me yours? Thank you very much in advanced.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
richiecdisc's Profile Photo

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Location