"time to get back to making some pages" richiecdisc's Profile

New page to come: Andechs

It’s been such a long time since I’ve built a page here on VT. Those who know me probably have wondered and quit wondering how I could possibly have written so many pages and then just stopped. Well, I only stopped writing. I’ve still been traveling and taking heaps of photos. In fact, I think I’m a better photographer now than I ever was but for me, no words meant no pages. Perhaps I lost my motivation or more likely, inspiration. Last summer, my Dad and sister visited Doreen and I in our new home in Munich. It was my sister’s first ever trip to Europe and my Dad’s first in over 20 years. He was 86 at the time and anyone who had the pleasure to meet him on that trip could only shake their heads at how youthful and alive he was (and still is!). Though I have bits and pieces (and tons of photos) of pages for Portugal and Barcelona that would predate this chronologically, I’m going to return with some memories of the things I did with my Dad last summer. It was an emotional time that I couldn’t not put into words what the photos readily show: just now close we are. It’s time to put the two together and for me there’s no better place to document it than back here at home, back here on VT. Hope you enjoy.
First up will be a page about the day he arrived. Despite his first transatlantic flight in over 20 years, his age of 86 and not having slept one wink on the flight, he was game to head to Andechs monastery for some beer and Bavarian specialties.

Dad makes it to the Alps

With my Dad in Europe for the first time in decades, there was no time to rest. Being of Italian heritage he had someone never been to Italy. Since we wanted to show him a lot of our new hometown of Munich and its immediate surroundings, there wasn’t enough time to bring him to the area of his ancestry in the far south, so we figured going over the Alps would have to suffice. If found one of the time ten scenic train trips in Europe going from Munich to Bolzano and our first port of call was Mittenwald so a revamped version of this page is now in place.

Doreen gets a special nod for making my Dad and sister's trip even more special. She went out of her way to welcome and show them her home country. It's no wonder my Dad is returning again this summer.

Coming soon: Innsbruck

Next stop en route to Bolzano was Innsbruck. To be honest, I had no real desire to go there but it was a convenient stopover, included in the train price and would be my Dad’s first taste of Austria too. What we found was a charming small city with a nice mix of architecture, good food and about the best gelato I’ve ever had.

coming soon: Bolzano

Bolzano was an emotional stop for us all. Though not the most Italian of Italian cities, it was still Italy and though initially a bit disappointing to my father, who had been more enamored with the squeaky clean towns of Mittenwald and Innsbruck, it great on us all and stays with me to this day.

coming soon: Neuschwanstein

Another place Müncheners don't get to often is Neuschwanstein.VT fave Ingrid once abhorred the place but now loves it. I mostly like what's around it aside from every other tourist in Germany but with my Dad and sister in town there was no way to not go there. So, a little page is coming.

Coming soon: Nürnberg

One place I had to take my Dad and sister while here was my favorite of all German towns, Bamberg so a Franconia trip was devised and on our way we stopped in Nürnberg.

coming soon: a revamped Bamberg

Bamberg
will always be a special place for me. One of the great beer destinations in the world, it happens to be one of the prettiest too. It was great for me to show my Dad and sister the place I usually spend my birthday each year so look for many updates on a page that has been calling me back for years.

Look for updates to hometown Munich and often visited Regensburg soon, too!

coming soon: Zugspitze

Though the Zugspitze is expensive and not generally my Dad's cup of tea, it was one of the true highlights of his visit to Germany. He had never truly been IN the mountains before and we picked an absolute gorgeous day to do it.

• Intro Updated Apr 15, 2014

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Ciao Richie! (well you gotta practice!) I wouldn't know how to put stuff for you on a VT Message so I sent it to your personal eMail address. Hope you're still using that same old addy... Let me know ok? Saluti. (Free language lessons!)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Great that you are back writing pages Richie! I'm looking forward to read about your visits with family in Germany/Austria and Italy!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2014 at 5:55 AM

Hurray - Richie is back :-)) Thanks dear!!

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:01 AM

Nice to be back and looking forward to catching up on some of everyone's new musings.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Hello my friend! Haven't forgotten you at all! Just slightly overtaken by stuff here. Will write you in next few days. Best to you and doreen.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Just back from Florida, Lou. Had a great three weeks in the amazing winter weather there so haven't been thinking too much about Italy lately. My Dad will be over in about eleven weeks.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Hi Richie, Wishing you a Merry Christmas and the happiest of New Years! Hugs to you and Doreen! :-)

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Thanks, Simone, Just back to Munich (and the Internet!). Had a lovely time up at Doreen's Mom's. Hope yours was nice and wishing you a great 2014!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Thanks, Dee. Just back from Christmas time with D's family (with no Internet!). Hope yours was lovely and wishing you the best in 2014!

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Ahhh finally I can say hello Richie! live from Montréal. Gruss! (what do you actually say for "all the best" or a friendly goodbye greeting?

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Haha..in Munich, they use Servus for everything. It's the Bavarian Caio. Viele Grüss always seems a little girly to me. Off to Bamberg in three hours! Guess I should start getting ready.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM

hope you'll get your smoky beer this time! Have fun!

• Imaginery's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Hi! I see you came to VietNam and I would like to add your VietNam page to mine :). Would you please inbox me yours? Thank you very much in advanced.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Hey Richie, Just recommended your Ciudad Perdida page on Travel Forum. On another topic, I showed some knowledge of beer at the bistro today, to my utter surprise. Was offered Boréal Blonde on special and detected an aroma reminiscent of a "dental office", and first attack on tongue/palate was also clearly one of clove. At the cash, mentioned this & waitress was mystified... she checked with the boss who said Boréal Blonde doesn't have this characteristic but Cheval Blanc Bière Blanche does. He went to today's cask and sure enough, today's special was the latter! I amazed myself! haha! Very pleasant, refreshing beer overall, just a touch too much clove note. Best wishes to you both!

• KristiG4's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Hi Rich! I have really enjoyed your writing on the Galapagos. My husband and I are planning a trip to Ecuador for our 25th wedding anniversary and carrying our back packs. Did you tour parts of Ecuador as well? Thank you for sharing your experiences. I like your writing style! Cheers!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
richiecdisc's Profile Photo

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Location