"Country on the sunny side of the Alps..." Slovenia by lukec
Slovenia Travel Guide: 7,885 reviews and 20,096 photos
The Toast (Slovene national anthem)
God's blessing on all nations,
Who long and work for that bright day,
When o'er earth's habitations
No war, no strife shall hold its sway;
Who long to see
That all men free
No more shall foes, but neighbours be.
The lines above are Slovene national anthem, written by our great romantic poet France Preseren (1800-1849). I put them here because they are words of optimism and hope for humanity that should be embraced by this world. They convey a message of peace, that I think is especially relevant in the times of new wars and divisions in the world. As long as people cherish our similarities and respect the differences that result from colorful development of human society in the past, the words of France Preseren are not hollow.
Slovenia is my home. Despite its smallness it has much to offer and many people who visited this country regard it as a green jewel of Europe. I don't want to sound biased since I'm a native, so I'll let you make your own judgements after you go through this page. Slovenia is a relatively young country that only came into being in 1991, following the break up of former Yugoslavia. We were fortunate enough to more or less escape the bloodshed that followed (read my travelogue on the break up of former Yugoslavia for more details) and nowdays Slovenia is a prosperous country, scheduled to join the European Union on May 1st 2004.
If you have any questions regarding Slovenia, feel free to ask.
- Pros:Nature, diversity, history
- Cons:To tell you the truth, I don't know
- In a nutshell:Small is beautiful
The lake has a picturesque island with a church in the middle and a castle standing on a cliff above the lake shores.... more travel advice
The capital of Stajerska (Styria) region, one of the two major wine producing regions in Slovenia (the other being... more travel advice
lukec's Related Pages
Slovenia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Sunny Side of The Alps"
- "Slovenija, lepa dezela (beautiful country)"
- "Small country of numerous wonders"
- "The Julian Alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovenia
- Hotels in Slovenia
- Transportation in Slovenia
- Nightlife in Slovenia
- Restaurants in Slovenia
- Shopping in Slovenia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovenia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Slovenia
- 37 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Slovenia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovenia
- Posted in Travel Brussels Forum "Anyone out for a drink?"
- updated a Slovenia Travel Page "Country on the sunny side of the Alps..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Country on the sunny side of the Alps..."
- Wrote a Review Lake Bled in Slovenia Things to Do
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Slovenia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Egypt Intro, 21 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Slovenia Intro, 29 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brazil Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Croatia Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chile Intro, 14 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Argentina Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Top Slovenia hotels
- Ljubljana Hotels
- 1958 Reviews - 4376 Photos
- Bled Hotels
- 766 Reviews - 1778 Photos
- Piran Hotels
- 510 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Portoroz Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Maribor Hotels
- 365 Reviews - 905 Photos
- Kranjska Gora Hotels
- 146 Reviews - 370 Photos
- Koper Hotels
- 136 Reviews - 383 Photos
- Rakek Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Most na Soci Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Celje Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 380 Photos
- Strunjan Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Ptuj Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Postojna Hotels
- 139 Reviews - 410 Photos
- Izola Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Crnci Hotels
- See nearby hotels