"Swingin' the world by the tail!" Karctic's Profile

Moving providence

I have just turned 50.

In my 40's I finally realised that there was more to a life fully lived than career, marriage and a paid off home....and so my bigger life began!

Hedged my bets with both for the past decade... but now the Fabulous Fifties will see me come into my own and start to live an even richer, fuller existence. Adventure and wonder await!

To kick off what I am sure will be my most magical decade yet, I plan to travel the northern hemisphere for 12months and explore many naturally wild and beautiful places..as well as sample small, rural village life and many delicious foods from many delicious regions!!

I have no definite plans and prefer to keep it that way. I do however have many ideas with many areas I can't wait to immerse myself in. Just follow my heart and my instincts and see what happens.

I'm not about cities and festivals and mobs of people. I seek beauty..natural landscapes, simplicity, off peak experiences. Trekking is the focus..especially in mountainous regions.

I will lean towards following the sun on this particular journey but I love the mountains in snow too.
It's a long held dream to spend a week out in the wild with a couple of dog sled teams. I am sure I will achieve this beyond the normal tourist opportunity.. I can feel it in my bones! :-)

Italy, France, Spain are places I have never been to and yearn to drop anchor in for a while...some house sitting is on the agenda too!

I run trails and particularly wish to focus on more Trail Ultramarathons (great way to see the landscape night and day with a handful of great people..and slowly!)

I loved adventure racing and mountaineering but have had to curtail some stuff while i recover from a back injury. 2013 will be a lot about testing its limits as well as my own mental ones :-) I MISS my old adventures and i dare say there will be plenty of times I miss my home and 4 legged family!

Here to meet some likemindeds and share and learn!

High altitude trekking: Eastern Vilcanota, Peru

I will get to doing some travel pages of some of my travels but for now I wanted to just share this one photo I took of our campsite at Accoyo, high in the Eastern Vilcanota of Peru..about 4880m here.

My boyfriend and I had planned to cross the Quel´ Caya icecap and had trekked in to here over the preceeding few days to access it.

We stayed a couple of days and the plan was to part company with the horses and the two handlers (Arrieros?) here and they would meet us at our end point but unfortunately the weather had other ideas.

The Quel´Caya ice cap has an average altitude of 5470m and covers 44 square kilometres! Like Kilimanjaro, the icecap itself is retreating....who knows how long it will last...
Our plan had been to snowshoe across about 15km of it taking about 3 days. Sadly we were unable to due to the weather being so bad :-(

This was a seldom visited area (by gringos anyway!) Long inhabited by the very tough local folk with their Llamas and Alpacas.

• Intro Updated Aug 10, 2012

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Happy Birthday Jan! Hope you are getting around Andalucía and seeing some great nature.

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Wishing you a Happy Birthday, Jan!

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Happy Birthday Jan – Hope you are having a Great Day – Best Regards from Rob in Cumbria

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Happy Birthday Jan, hope youre having a great day in Spain :)

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• RUMISABUNCU's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Hi Jan, greetings from sunny Antalya,Turkey.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Hope you have a wonderful trip, look forward to your dispatches. If you don't already know, a couple of places worth looking at in my experience are Koenigsee (Berchtesgaden pages), Gorges du Tarn (probably Meyrueis pages) and Picos de Europa (probably in my Spain pages). Only mention them because they don't get much publicity but are great for walking. Cheers, Ian

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Many thanks Ian... will have a look as the dust settles once on my way next week.. life i frantic here at home as I prepare for this lengthy "holiday"! You can be certain I will never sully these pages with a one "m" accommadtion typo again :-D

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Good luck on your travels! Can't wait to hear some stories.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Thank you very much Basaic! My heads a whirl but "its all good" as they say!

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Oh my goodness!! I finally am back on VT and now i am here for good! What a crazy few months its been but in 6 days i fly to Rome to start my 11m of travel adventures! Questions to ask, stories to share and friends to meet... bring it on!!

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
      Apr 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Welcome back! I'm looking forward to some VT Flag photos atop some snow capped peaks :) Great shots! Congrats on the bigger life!

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Oh thank you! I look forward to sharing :)

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Hi Jan - Complements of the Season – Hope you are having a great time and all the best for 2013.
    Best Regards
    Rob in Cumbria

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Karctic's Profile Photo

Karctic

“Sometimes you just have to stop thinking so much..and just go!!!”

Ranked Member