"Old Cultures and wonderful nature" Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney by margaretvn

Orkney Travel Guide: 236 reviews and 501 photos

the next step of the trip

After spending a week on the Shetland Islands we took the ferry to Orkney for a few days. We had wanted to go there for years. It is possible to book a round ticket - going from Aberdeen to Lerwick on Shetland and from Lerwick to Orkney and from there back to Aberdeen. It was wonderful to watch the island appearing through the mist.

From Shetland to Orkney.....

There was a warm welcome at the harbour for the ferry - there was a pipe band playing.

I highly recommend doing the trip from Aberdeen and then on to Orkney.... even though the boat Aberdeen to Shetland had a very fishy smell!!

• Pros:history and nature in a beautiful combination
  • Cons:perhaps for some too quiet and isolated.
  • In a nutshell:more than 4000 years of history and wonderful nature
  • Last visit to Orkney: May 1997
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2007

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2007 at 4:42 AM

So went north to Orkney? Good for you. What no glass of Highland Park when in the bath? Goes with cheese.

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Thanks for the details about Orkney Island...Nice images and writing...

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Orkney looks really gorgeous. It has everything I love: the sea, wonderful scenery, ancient monuments and all-pervading peace. Not to mention the piped bands, what a welcome! I just wish it were closer to Poland. Beautiful pictures and fascinating tips.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2005 at 4:14 AM

Looks like a lovely destination! We almost went there, but then we went to Fair Isle instead! Love those neolithic sites! Orkney seems to be full of them!

• cleocat's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2004 at 5:10 AM

Great pic. I see you've been to South Africa. There is a small town in the north west district by the name of Orkney as well.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2004 at 5:04 AM

I first heard about the ancient burial grounds and homes on the "History of Britain". Very interesting. (I think the weather added to the mood of your photo by the way!)

• Jun 2, 2004 at 9:49 PM

I had another look at your lovely page - you obviously love Scotland.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2004 at 6:10 AM

Great page Margaret! I've been to Scotland twice, but I never made it to Orkney. But next time I certainly will try to! It sounds great! It looks like a place I would love :-)))

• prleprle's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2004 at 3:45 AM

Italian chapel at Orkney... very interesting. Islands looks so remote... I love it! Well done!

• toontown's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2004 at 2:26 AM

:ove your Orkney page. I went cycling around northern Scotland and Orkney as a girl. I remember a lot of sheep but quite sure we missed all the wonderful history!

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Badges & Stats in Orkney