"My Scotland page" Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland by margaretvn

Scotland Travel Guide: 12,704 reviews and 28,316 photos

We have visited Scotland many times, it is a part of the United Kingdom we love, and where we often go back to. It sorts of grabs your heart and keeps pulling you back and everytime you visit there is something new to discover. This year we had a great week in Scotland, we hired a flat near Stirling and used that as our base for exploring and walking. We prefer to hire a cottage or flat and do self catering as it seems to make us freer to come and go as we want. Also with a flat or cottage you can leave your things - books, sewing and travel brochure about and not have to tidy them up every evening so that the room can be made up everyday!

My mother was born in Burntisland Fife, and I worked in Helensburgh while in the Royal Navy.
When I started building my pages there was no way to build a seperate Scotland page so I put all my tips on my United Kingdom page...............now I am building a separate page for this lovely part of the world which is a favourite holiday destination of ours. Koos and I have dreams of moving to Scotland when we retire - it will probably remain a dream but we will go over often.

People are always saying to my "I would love to go to Scotland but it is always bad weather there!!" How is then that we have always had good weather - OK we had had days with some showers BUT we have also been on a lovely beach on the Isle of Lewis in our shorts in May.
I think this is another page of mine that will keep growing.

• Pros:wonderful nature, beautiful castles and friendly natives
  • Cons:you might fall in love with the country and never want to go anywhere else!
  • In a nutshell:Nature and History to grab you
  • Last visit to Scotland: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2009

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Wonderful page with so much information and also beautiful pictures. I added some tips to my trip planner and will continue to browse your additional pages of destinations in Scotland! Thank you.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Just checked to see if you have already updated your accomodation... oh boy, there are so many wonderful tips here on this page - makes me want to go back!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2011 at 4:22 AM

"People are always saying to my "I would love to go to Scotland but it is always bad weather there!" *Pssst!* Margaret! The lovely weather in Scotland is a well-kept secret! The Scots let the world believe it always rains, so not too many people come :-)

• Feb 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Thanks for psoting these nice pictures

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Wonderful Scotland Pages. Brought back many fond memories. We also had pretty good weather most of the time although a bit of rain doesn't bother us.

• rachesuiphilippines's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Agree. I haven't set foot in Scotland yet or to any European country but i know it's a beautiful place from people who live there. I hope to see more of Scotland thru you Margaret.

• Sep 7, 2009 at 4:35 AM

nice updates and lovely photos Margaret

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Margaret, fantastic overview of Scotland which I have explored twice by train. So I have seen quite a few places you list here under "things to do", whereas I almost haven't seen any of the places you mention in your "off the beaten path" tips.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Me again, coming back to have a look at the updates and new tips that you have added since July 10, 2005. Good to know there are websites like ecosse unique and www.unique-cottages.co.uk to book cottages in Scotland.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Great returning to see your updates--a really delightful page. I remember Eilean Donan Castle on our way to Skye. Great accommodation & shopping tips. Love the Shetland ponies!!

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Badges & Stats in Scotland

Have you been to Scotland?

Latest Activity in Scotland