"My U.K. - a home I love very dearly." Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom by margaretvn

United Kingdom Travel Guide: 95,190 reviews and 228,842 photos

My Home - well one of them!

I was born in England and although I now live in The Netherlands I am still very much in love with the U.K. Luckily my husband, Koos, also loves travelling and we have seen a great deal of the U.K. together over the years. Must have been fate because we met in England - it was a holiday romance with a twist - Koos met his parents- in law before he met his bride!
We had a great holiday in England in October 2006 when we had a two week holiday there. The first few days we spent with my parents. I celebrated my birthday there with them - although "celebrated" spent half the day in the local walk in surgery because of an infected toe! Then for the second week we went to Suffolk where we had hired a cottage. It is an area we had not explored so much and we had a great time. It was made special by meeting Berni and Carl for a long lunch. We had a wonderful time together even though the Smart nearly ended up floating out to sea because of the very high tides that day. Berni - I still miss our chats on a sunday morning.

The way of life, the history and culture and the diverse landscape - it is so beautiful.....the United Kingdom really is worth visiting and do not believe what they say about it ALWAYS being bad weather there.

Once again I am counting the days until I go over again - a week visiting my parents...... home from home. I fly over on the 20th of september.

This page is a favourite of mine and is a very personal one as I have really stayed with MY favourite places and MY thoughts about it, I hope you enjoy it and if I can help by answering any questions - please let me know. Always seem to be working on this page - a labour of love really.
Please also look in my travelogues for more information and photos. - thank you. And if I can help you with questions you have I will certainly do my best.

• Pros:the differences in nature throughout the country, a long history,
  • Cons:sometimes the weather, although that can add to the charm
  • In a nutshell:where I was born and I love it and we hope to return to live there
  • Last visit to United Kingdom: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2009

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Amazing number of tips - I'll try some out! Thanks for sharing.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Don't know if I'll ever have a chance to see the Farne Islands, but they look lovely. Is that a puffin?

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
      Oct 2, 2013 at 5:17 AM

sorry about the late reply (been away on holiday) and yes it is a puffin.. I loved seeing them

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Hello, Margaret! I like those cute places! Well done! Thanks a lot!~

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 12:55 AM

Hello Margaret. What a fantastic UK page! Great insights! I've never been to the UK :-( my fiance is Scottish so I hope we make it up there sometime soon! Greetings from the desert :-) Jess

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 12:22 AM

What a lovely update! (~_~)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2007 at 9:15 PM

Should have checked your pages before I went! You're right about the weather, it isn't always raining. It stopped once, I think it was a Tuesday. You still up for the meet?

• NeverBeenThere's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2007 at 10:32 AM

i wish to visit your country someday, its very beautiful!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Great suggestions in Things To Do and Restaurant tips. Thanks a million for sharing. The isle of Mull and Iona sounds very interesting for me :-) Fantastic suggestions in Off The Beaten Path tips!!! :-)))

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 2:25 PM

Hi Margaret had a nice few moments reading your pages and really enjoyed them, and like you I think the UK is a nice place to live there's only one problem with it, Its so full of people the island might sink...

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 6:48 AM

Fantastic pages. I will have to come back and revisit them. Enjoyed reading your tips and the photos were wonderful. Loved the Killiecrankie trails when I was in Pitlochry. A special place for me... Cheers

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Badges & Stats in United Kingdom

• 1,119 Photos

Have you been to United Kingdom?

Latest Activity in United Kingdom