"Xi An" Xi'an by margaretvn
Xi'an Travel Guide: 1,091 reviews and 2,978 photos
We visited XiAn twice during visits to China in 1991 and 1997. This city is situated in the centre of the Guanzhong (central Shaanxi) plain. It was known as Chang ’an in ancient times and it is the capital of Shaanxi province. There has been a city on the same site for more than 3,000 years. Xi’an served intermittently as the capital of 11 dynasties, beginning in the 11th century BC and covering a total period of 1,100 years. From the time of the Han dynasty Xi’an was an important city in China’s economical and cultural affairs. It was the starting point of the “Silk Road”. There are many ancient buildings in the city making it a highlight of a trip to China. These include the Dayan (Big Wild Goose) Pagoda, the Xiaoyan (Small Wild Goose) Pagoda, the Bell Tower, The Ming Dynasty City Wall and of course the mausoleum of Qinshihuang and the Terracotta Army. The Banpo museum also very worth a visit.
For more photos and information please look at my CHINA page thank you.
The Terracotta Army is the main reason for visiting XiAn - and yes those photos were taken in the factory shop!! more travel advice
Do not buy your terracotta statues on the market. Yes they are very cheap but they will not survive the trip back to the... more travel advice
margaretvn's Related Pages
Xi'an Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The echo of ancient"
- "Xian "Peaceful western part of China""
- "Shifting cities"
- "Beautiful Xi'an"
- "Xian - our stopover to see the Terracotta Army"
- "Qing Ming @Xi'an"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xi'an
- Hotels in Xi'an
- Transportation in Xi'an
- Nightlife in Xi'an
- Restaurants in Xi'an
- Shopping in Xi'an
- Warnings and Dangers in Xi'an
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xi'an
- 15 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Xi'an?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xi'an
Photos in Xi'anSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 147 reviews, 257 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 104 reviews, 203 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 43 reviews, 235 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 10 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 80 reviews, 128 photos, 3 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 57 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 35 reviews, 138 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 48 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues