"Xi An" Xi'an by margaretvn

Xi'an Travel Guide: 1,091 reviews and 2,978 photos

We visited XiAn twice during visits to China in 1991 and 1997. This city is situated in the centre of the Guanzhong (central Shaanxi) plain. It was known as Chang ’an in ancient times and it is the capital of Shaanxi province. There has been a city on the same site for more than 3,000 years. Xi’an served intermittently as the capital of 11 dynasties, beginning in the 11th century BC and covering a total period of 1,100 years. From the time of the Han dynasty Xi’an was an important city in China’s economical and cultural affairs. It was the starting point of the “Silk Road”. There are many ancient buildings in the city making it a highlight of a trip to China. These include the Dayan (Big Wild Goose) Pagoda, the Xiaoyan (Small Wild Goose) Pagoda, the Bell Tower, The Ming Dynasty City Wall and of course the mausoleum of Qinshihuang and the Terracotta Army. The Banpo museum also very worth a visit.
For more photos and information please look at my CHINA page thank you.

• Last visit to Xi'an: Dec 1996
  • Intro Written Sep 7, 2002

• Museeuw's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 2:33 AM

Thank you very much! I'm jealous of your map. :-)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Very interesting page, Margaret. I'd love to see the terra cotta soldiers and buy something from the factory store.

• spiritofscouse's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 10:46 AM

do they really ship home? do they use courier service to ship home?my concern is that the freight cost would be very expensive.Do you have contact details of the factory?

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Nice insights into Xi'an. Oh I wish you had more photos!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2006 at 7:25 AM

Good page! I would like to meet the farmer who discovered the Terracotta Army, too!

• Dec 21, 2003 at 4:10 AM

good page

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2003 at 5:32 PM

I might have an opportunity to visit Xian and China next year. Your page was both very intriguing and helpful.

• d_d's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2003 at 4:36 AM

Really well done! great Xi'an :-)

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2003 at 4:36 AM

fantastic page - I loved Xi`an and have a fostergirl in Shaan Xi!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2003 at 8:36 AM

Gosh, I was so sick in Xian that I spent 3 days here and never visited the Warriors!! Great Page!! Thanks for what I missed!

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Badges & Stats in Xi'an