"margaret's Blackpool Page" Blackpool by margaretvn

Blackpool Travel Guide: 482 reviews and 892 photos

To be really honest I do not really like Blackpool, although I must say I do not really know the area terribly well. Close to Blackpool is where our extended family has held its yearly reunion for several years. So I think that this page will really centre on the things to see in the area.
First of all though a bit about Blackpool – it celebrated its centenary in 1994. The town has no longer the charm and shine it once had because British holiday plans have changed in the last years. It is really a long line of amusement arcades, piers and bingo halls with lots of restaurants and fast food places.
During September and October the town still attracts lots of visitors because of the illuminations. The town is famous for its 158 metre high tower. The town dates back to the 18th century but its real heyday came in 1840 when the railway arrived. That meant that the workers from Lancaster shire were able to travel to Blackpool for their holidays.

• Intro Written Sep 1, 2002

• Kristymamoo's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 8:40 AM

It's not sooo bad.... I lived here for 9 years - glad to be on IOM now and wouldn't swap back for the world but there are some things I miss. I can see why visitors wouldn't like it now though.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2005 at 10:18 AM

I would love all those little towns and villages... Thanks for sharing good info :-)

• Joan40's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2004 at 7:14 AM

You are so right about Blackpool, my family always went on holiday here. But now its too commercial, I can still stand a long weekend there though:-)

• jmmorgan's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2003 at 4:08 AM

Your comments about blackpool are spot on. I loved it as a child but hate it as an adult.

• hayward68's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2003 at 10:14 AM

Great off the beaten path tips!

• empbu's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2002 at 11:32 AM

A good friend lives there. Hope to visit someday! :)

• Katie_Hunter's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2002 at 10:59 AM

I live in Kendal and think what you put about it is lovely. I

• jill_archer's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2001 at 11:38 AM

nice page

• sharonn's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2001 at 3:58 AM

I am with you on BPool - yet you make it sound interesting!!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2001 at 10:07 AM

Kendal & Grasmere sound lovely.

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Badges & Stats in Blackpool

Have you been to Blackpool?

Photos in Blackpool