"A favourite part of the country" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park by margaretvn

Lake District National Park Travel Guide: 487 reviews and 1,307 photos

Each year we have a family get together and since 2003 we have had a long weekend in the Lake District. It is a part of the U.K. which I have visited often and love. It is also an we visit regularly as a day out while visiting my parents - a couple of hours drive takes us there. We do always try to go out of season though so that we can miss the really busy tourist packed months.
At the moment we are seriously thinking about going back in 2008 for a "walking holiday" and I am spending time looking at cottages to hire there. Plus trying to talk my family into going back to the area for our family get together.

We met this little fellow near the Standing stones at Castlerigg, where he enjoyed a biscuit with us, we did offer him a little bit of banana but he only fancied the biscuits!
Koos said to be careful not to frighten him but he was so used to visitors at the Standing Stones.
If you have seen other pages of mine you will know I just love the magical feel of Standing Stones, and we go to as many sites of them as possible.

I thought I would let you see that he did actually have two legs...... it is just that every time I took a photo he hid one! ended up with a whole series of photos of this lovely "one-legged" robin! We were parked on the edge of the road and even passing cars (admittedly not many) did not frigthen him away.... or perhaps it was the temptation of the biscuits that was too strong for him.

• Pros:wonderful scenery and lovely little towns and villages
  • Cons:it gets so crowded in high season.
  • In a nutshell:a beautiful part of England which I enjoy going back to time and time again
  • Last visit to Lake District National Park: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 27, 2008

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2010 at 5:50 AM

great tips!

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Must ad this destination on my travels musts. I already prepare my socks for the dishes (lol) En als je ooit in de buurt zijd, laat het ons weten. We kunnen gerust een dagje (of meer) wat rond rijden, ook kun je van Rosa koken kunst proeven !

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2009 at 5:52 AM

I'd love to visit, after reading about it in Wordswoth's work. Interesting to visit the pencil museum, and to see the local sheep - I love sheep:)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2008 at 3:24 AM

Margaret, excellent page about the Lake Dristrict. I have been to many places all over England, but this lovely part is still missing. Merry Chrismas and a happy new year 2009 from grey Germany.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2008 at 6:05 AM

I was visiting the Lake District in August and really enjoyed reading your page. I didn't dare to drive, but from the bus I saw the other tourists struggling on the very narrow roads. A Smart is the best car for these roads, you're right.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2008 at 3:18 PM

I will be exploring the Lakes District later this year and your page has been very helpful...thanks

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Great tips Margaret. I'm visiting the Lake District at the end of May and your tips are very helpful for planning. Thos ploughman's lunches sound very nice - we'll have to try one!

• alycat's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2007 at 9:12 PM

Excellent tips..wont forget to take my own towel!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2006 at 9:12 AM

Sorry, to me Penrith is not off the beaten track!!! (but more so than Ambleside!!) Even though we only live a short distance from Sizergh Castle, we have still to visit!!! Nice page.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2006 at 8:17 AM

well done on the embroidery, but even moreso with the tips. enjoy them much. I suppose our sister could have wound up with foot and mouth disease, or her husband a bad case of coffee foot.

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Badges & Stats in Lake District National Park

Have you been to Lake District National Park?