"a week exploring" Top 5 Page for this destination Loch Lomond by margaretvn

Loch Lomond Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 276 photos

We actually stayed in a flat in Bridge of Allan which is not far from Stirling and which is put in England when I try to enter it in VT. So we were about 30 minutes from Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park where we spent most of our time walking and exploring.
Loch Lomond is the largest lake in mainland britian and perhap the most well known Scottish loch. Years ago I worked in Helensburgh for the Royal Navy and spent lots of free time here. I also took part in a mountain rescue exercise - playing plane crash casualty and being rescued - was very cold lying there waiting for someone to find me!
The southeren end of the loch at Balloch, Luss and the Loch Lomond Shores do get very busy and are very touristy. It is much better to get away from there and explore the more quiet areas I think. The southern part of the loch has lots of islands in it and its shores are woods and fields. As you go more to the north the loch changes - it becomes narrower and its sides steeper.

Several days we did the "Trossachs Bird of Prey Trail" it is a 40 kilometre trail that gives you the chance of seeing some wonderful birds of prey (some having been re-intrduced into Scotland) and doing some great walking trails.

The only problem was that with only a week we ran out of time! Still that is a good reason to go back and we have already decided that is what we are going to do next year.

• Pros:wonderful scenery, great walking
  • Cons:can be VERY busy in the summer months.
  • In a nutshell:wonderful part of the world
  • Last visit to Loch Lomond: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2008

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2009 at 4:18 AM

Gorgeous little page about this well known Scottish lake. Unfortunately, I only passed it by train on the way to Glasgow.

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I have yet to go to Loch Lomond.

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Badges & Stats in Loch Lomond

Have you been to Loch Lomond?

Latest Activity in Loch Lomond