"a week exploring" Top 5 Page for this destination Loch Lomond by margaretvn
Loch Lomond Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 283 photos
We actually stayed in a flat in Bridge of Allan which is not far from Stirling and which is put in England when I try to enter it in VT. So we were about 30 minutes from Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park where we spent most of our time walking and exploring.
Loch Lomond is the largest lake in mainland britian and perhap the most well known Scottish loch. Years ago I worked in Helensburgh for the Royal Navy and spent lots of free time here. I also took part in a mountain rescue exercise - playing plane crash casualty and being rescued - was very cold lying there waiting for someone to find me!
The southeren end of the loch at Balloch, Luss and the Loch Lomond Shores do get very busy and are very touristy. It is much better to get away from there and explore the more quiet areas I think. The southern part of the loch has lots of islands in it and its shores are woods and fields. As you go more to the north the loch changes - it becomes narrower and its sides steeper.
Several days we did the "Trossachs Bird of Prey Trail" it is a 40 kilometre trail that gives you the chance of seeing some wonderful birds of prey (some having been re-intrduced into Scotland) and doing some great walking trails.
The only problem was that with only a week we ran out of time! Still that is a good reason to go back and we have already decided that is what we are going to do next year.
- Pros:wonderful scenery, great walking
- Cons:can be VERY busy in the summer months.
- In a nutshell:wonderful part of the world
If you park your car at Balloch castle (free parking) you can do an easy walk along part of the shore of Loch Lomond and... more travel advice
This is a lovely area of the Trossachs Trail. Glen finglas was one of the most popular of the royal hunting forests... more travel advice
margaretvn's Related Pages
Loch Lomond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Loch Lomond"
- "LOCH LOMOND"
- "Loch Lomond"
- "a week exploring"
- "The Bonnie Banks"
- "Loch Lomond: A lake with 1001 views..."
- "Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Loch Lomond
- Hotels in Loch Lomond
- Transportation in Loch Lomond
- Restaurants in Loch Lomond
- Shopping in Loch Lomond
- Warnings and Dangers in Loch Lomond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Loch Lomond
- 9 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Loch Lomond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Loch Lomond
Videos in Loch LomondSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 147 reviews, 257 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 104 reviews, 203 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 43 reviews, 235 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 10 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 80 reviews, 128 photos, 3 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 57 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 35 reviews, 138 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 48 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florida Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues