"Florence - at last!" Florence by margaretvn

Florence Travel Guide: 5,035 reviews and 11,002 photos

Florence had been on my list of places to visit for soooo long and at last we made it there. It had been a long wait but it was so worth while. I just had to see this young man. Michelangelo made this statue when he was 29 years old and it established him as the foremost sculptor of his time. It is made of Carrara marble and was commissioned by the city for the Piazza della Signoria. In 1873 it was moved to the Accademia and today a copy stands in the original's place.

• Pros:art and cultural at its best
  • Cons:very very busy in high season
  • In a nutshell:the treasure chest of the Renaissance
  • Last visit to Florence: Nov 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2006

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I'm going to Florence tomorrow. Ciao!

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Great Florence pages. Just to let you know there is another thing you can do in Palazzo Vecchio and that is get married. My son did just that last June and it was lovely. If you haven't already read it, I think you would enjoy The Agony and the Ecstasy.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 11:45 AM

Beautiful page about Florence Margaret! I really would love to see this city! Hopefully like you, I will go here some day! :-))

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2006 at 5:41 PM

have spent much of the late PM reading and then rereading your great pages. How DID you get that picture in the Academy of David? Verrrry sneaky, I think. And nice little summaries of the surrounding cities.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 2:52 PM

Margaret, We share a passion for Michaelangelo's art! Your Florence pages make me want to get on a plane; no small feat since I'm only just recovering from my last jet lag! Very nice. Thank you.

• cleocat's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2004 at 5:37 AM

I like the pic's the real ones and the funnies (shoes and car) It look so amazing. Hoping to go to italy towards the end of the year.don't know if I will be able to see everything. Great page

• mcpangie's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2004 at 11:18 PM

Nice info on The David. I found it useful because I've written about someone interested in the statue. I like your little car on your homepage.

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2004 at 1:02 PM

Thanks for your kind words, and thank you for sharing your wonderful Florence pictures! Hope to go back someday!

• conny_bazen's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2004 at 2:03 PM

Mooie page !! Ik ga in maart een paar dagen naar Firenze......Joepie !!

• Nov 9, 2003 at 5:28 AM

a lovely page

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Badges & Stats in Florence

Have you been to Florence?

Latest Activity in Florence