"Targu Jiu, a Taste of Oltenia" Targu Jiu by levibg
Targu Jiu Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 26 photos
Targu Jiu is one of our top dozen favorite cities in Romania, though it's hard to say just why. For one thing, not a lot of tourists make it to Targu Jiu, so it's sort of unspoiled. It's small enough to manage, has the second-best pizza in the country, boasts a nice park and wonderful market, and rather charmingly refuses to be too civilized.
You can still see the occasional bent granny in opingi, the leather lace-up sock-shoes of long ago days. Old timers refuse to change their ways and we hope they never do. The colorful skirts of Roma girls swish up and down the walking street and old women sell hand-knit socks and mittens on the market steps.
The Jiu River splits off part of the town, leaving the park of sculptures by Constantine Brancusi open to the water view and providing a backdrop for Saturday afternoon wedding photos.
Targu Jiu is a little rough around the edges, a trifle faded, and a whole lot of real.
- Pros:A glimpse of former days, beautiful sculpture park, a bustling market, good food
- Cons:Less than plush motels if you're not careful, beggars (especially in the market), littering, traffic moves to its own beat
- In a nutshell:Sculptures, Peasants, and a Real Taste of Oltenia
Targu Jiu's most famous site is the central park with sculptures by Constantin Brancusi: the Table of Silence, Alley of... more travel advice
We stay here often. The staff are friendly; the rooms tiny but clean; there is wireless internet. Request AC for summer... more travel advice
levibg's Related Pages
Targu Jiu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "This is the birthplace of the great Brancusi..."
- "Targu Jiu, a Taste of Oltenia"
- "A day in Targu Jiu"
- "Targu Jiu and surrounding area..."
- "Targu Jiu"
- "Brancusi's master piece and the Kiss Gate"
- "Tārgu Jiu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Targu Jiu
- Hotels in Targu Jiu
- Restaurants in Targu Jiu
- Warnings and Dangers in Targu Jiu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Targu Jiu
- 5 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Targu Jiu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Targu Jiu
Top 5 Pages
- Targu Jiu Intro, 5 reviews
- Sighisoara Intro, 3 reviews
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ivano-Frankivs'k Intro, 2 reviews
- Curtea de Arges Intro, 2 reviews
- Vaslui Intro, 2 reviews
No friends yet.