"Socotra - A Forgotten Island You Will Never Forget" Top 5 Page for this destination Socotra by BohdanaR
Socotra Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 273 photos
Socotra island lies deep in the Arabian sea south from the coast of Yemen. (Yemen is an Arab country in the south of Arabian Peninsula. No, it is not a region in Africa!) In fact, Socotra is closer to Somalia than to Yemen. Socotra used to be isolated from the surrounding civilisations by wild sea. In 1999, an airport was open there and since then the island is accessible by flights from Mukalla and Aden. Do not risk taking a boat since the Gulf of Aden happens to be full of pirates.
Socotra island has something to offer to anyone - beautoful long sandy beaches to those who love sunbathing, rich coral reefs and world war II shipwreck to divers, schools of fish to fishermen, mountains with georgeous view to hikers. Socotra is home to many endemic species of fauna and flore - that means that such species cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Magic dragon blood trees, lovely Adenium obesum, smelly Caralluma socotrana - to name just few. That is the reason why Socotra is nicknamed Galapagos of the Indian ocean.
Thanks God, mass tourism hasn't reached Socotra yet. Expect eco-tourism approach meaning community-run eco-camps with tents, basic bathrooms and great fresh fish and lobsters. You won't find any ice cream kiosks and disco bars on the beach but you'll have the beach only for yourselves. There is a decent hotel in the capital village with a Philippino cookof Hadibo but Socotri tourist guides will look so well after you that it would be a shame to give up camping on the beach or in wonderful inland mountains.
- Pros:Breathtaking nature that you haven't seen before.
- Cons:No beach bars - not that you would miss them there.
- In a nutshell:A pristine paradise with extremely friendly locals.
There are many rules regarding meeting people on Socotra. When two local men meet, they grab each other's hand and touch... more travel advice
There is not much to do on Socotra in the night. Locals go to bed after the last prayer because they wake up for the... more travel advice
BohdanaR's Related Pages
Socotra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Socotra (Yemen) - a strange and blissful island !"
- "Socotra Yemen -- some like it remote"
- "Socotra - A Forgotten Island You Will Never Forget"
- "A most incredible island!"
- "A fairy tale island"
- "Socotra, the amazing island!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Socotra
- Hotels in Socotra
- Transportation in Socotra
- Nightlife in Socotra
- Restaurants in Socotra
- Warnings and Dangers in Socotra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Socotra
- 9 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Socotra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Socotra
- Wrote a Review Shaking hands and touching noses among men in Socotra Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "The best restaurant on Socotra"
- updated a Socotra Travel Page "Socotra - A Forgotten Island You Will Never Forget"
Photos in SocotraSee All Photos (38)
Top PagesSee All Travel Pages (2)
No friends yet.