"Hermosillo (supposed to mean beautiful, but . . .)" Top 5 Page for this destination Hermosillo by jmbredeck
Hermosillo Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 55 photos
This desert town has grown a lot in the past few years for reasons which remain a little vague to me. After all, you're in the middle of a desert with no reliable source of water for the 850,000+ residents (and growing) who live here. It's a 2.5 hr drive to the Sea of Cortez coast, where there IS (salt) water - but here, in Hillo, the reservoir (indicated on all city maps as a large lake) had dried up long before I arrived, and noone is talking about how to solve the problem. Nowadays (2011) there may be water again, thanks to the return of monsoon rains - but politicians slap each other like some Saturday puppet show at the local library as they 'explore' the possibilities of a desaliniazation plant, which remains on the drawing boards as we all adjust to no water half of the year. Mexican politics protects what matters -- and I guess it ain't my water (or yours, friend.)
In the meantime, be prepared to have your water shut off at about 4 in the afternoon, and turned on again at about 5:30 the following morning. About as subtle (and effective) as a speed bump.
P.S. One explanation for the growth might be the NAFTA, and the rapid growth of maquiladoras (more notable at the border in Nogales.) Inside these massive complexes, like the Motorola plant in Nogales, hundreds of people work assembling cel phones, TV cable boxes and computers. A recent decision (announced in 2004) by Ford to expand their assembly plant is going to fuel Hermosillo?s growth The Ford site is a sprawling complex that will no doubt change the face of Hermosillo - but how?
- Pros:If you like beef - this is the place.
- Cons:If you don't like beef - you have entered the 7th ring of Hell
- In a nutshell:Why stop? You were on your way to San Carlos anyway.
Small shop with T-shirts, ironwood scultpures, and several other types of nice mexican gifts. It wasn't exactly cheap... more travel advice
Drive out of Hermosillo and follow the route of the Sonora River, that's more or less what the Jesuits did (without... more travel advice
jmbredeck's Related Pages
Hermosillo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hermosillo, the Sun's city"
- "Hermosillo City"
- "HERMOSILLO - CITY OF ORANGES?"
- "Hermosillo (supposed to mean beautiful, but . . .)"
- "Hermosillo in 2004"
- "Soon to be home!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hermosillo
- Hotels in Hermosillo
- Nightlife in Hermosillo
- Restaurants in Hermosillo
- Shopping in Hermosillo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hermosillo
- 17 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Hermosillo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hermosillo
- updated a Hermosillo Travel Page "Hermosillo (supposed to mean beautiful, but . . .)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Souvenir shopping"
- Wrote a Review Souvenir shopping in Hermosillo Shopping
Photos in HermosilloSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hermosillo Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos
- Bogotá Intro, 12 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Durango 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Los Mochis Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Colombia Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo
- Zacatecas 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Irapuato Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Tucson 6 reviews, 1 photo
- Oaxaca de Juárez 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Aguascalientes 4 reviews, 3 photos