"Richmond, California" Richmond by middlekauff

Richmond Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 27 photos

Richmond, California is where my wife and I live. We bought our house in 1957. We raised our four kids here and for some strange reason enlarged it after the kids moved out.

For those of you who don't know (and I imagine that is most of you), Richmond is about 20 miles NNE of San Francisco. We have moderate winters and less than perfect summers.

If we want HOT weather, we head down south. If we want snow, we head east to Lake Tahoe. If we want to be given the deep-freeze, we head up to Oregon (they hate us up there).

I guess it is typical, but even though we have traveled all around the world, we have not yet set foot on Alcatraz, the former prison in San Francisco Bay. We very seldom go across the Golden Gate Bridge and we would rather fly out of Oakland than SFO.

Richmond basically got it's start during WWII as one of the ship building centers. There were three shipyards (they called them shipyard 1, shipyard 2 and shipyard 3) and they turned out many, many ships during the war. After the war ended, many people who came from all over America to help in the war effort lost their jobs, and parts of Richmond fell into disrepair.

Luckly, ours is not one of them.

• Intro Written Mar 17, 2002

Comments

middlekauff

“We LIVE for this stuff”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Richmond

Have you been to Richmond?

Latest Activity in Richmond