"EgoAmorMundi - travelling the way I see it!" EgoAmorMundi's Profile

Hi there,

and welcome to my page! I'm a young traveller, currently living in lovely Finland. (Before I continue, no, we DO NOT have polar bears walking at our streets).

As a traveller I'm spontaneous, understanding and willing to really get to no the "real" side of the country I'm visiting (in other words - no Animation Clubs and definately no giant all-inclusive complex) If I'm able to decide.

Since I'm quite young I usually travel with my family. When I finish upper secondary school, I'm hoping to discover more of our usually very adorable planet (thats by the way my username - EgoAmorMundi, which in Latin means "I love the world").

Love the expression "travelling is a book, and those who don't travel read only one page"! So true!

Speaking of Latin, one of my interests are languages. I prefer talking English here on VirtualTourist, but in "emergency situations" I might (might!!) write a few words in German or French, since I'm studying them. Well, let's not talk to much. I'm excited about getting ideas from you guys! Enjoy!

P.S If you have any questions about Finland (or any other country), please do not hesitate to ask! Scroll down to read my topic "my country" for more information folks!

Countries visited...

When I joined VT I was kind of surprised. It's amazing how some of you guys have visited over 50 countries. I'm still a beginner in terms my amount if visited countries and haven't got any chocking travel statistics, but I decided to put it here anyway. So here it goes:

Finland
Latvia
Monaco

...to be continued :)

Cherished...

My absolute favourites in travel is Germany. Except for Belgium and Finland, Germany is probably the country I've seen most of. Berlin is extraordinary, but there's in my opinion so much more to see. Köln (the carneval!), Stuttgart, Munich and Garmish Partenkirchen are must-sees.

Another country I find very interesting is Poland. Unfortunately I have only been there once, in the city of Gdansk! Absolutely amazing town, love the architecture and all the cosy little bars in downtown Gdansk. And everything is so cheap, a quarter of the prices in Finland! I'd love to visit Krakow, Warsaw and Wroclaw!

There's no place like home...

We'll, I've mentioned Germany and Poland as my favourites, but my country, Finland is still "the one". Many tourists tend not to visit Finland while they're "doing Europe", and that is a huge mistake! In Finland we have everything. Our capital Helsinki, is a rather small city, but it has a wide range of restaurants. And yes, Finnish food exists, and i'ts well worth trying. Helsinki is also the World Design Capital of 2012. Don't miss to stroll around in shops like Iittala, Pentik, Artek, and Marimekko! If you're all about museums you won't be dissapointed. Don't miss the Museum Of Modern Art (Kiasma), the museum of design and Ateneum, a gorgeus art museum. The temppeliaukion kirkko, is a very extraordinary church, and is visited by tourists from all over the world. The great white dome is a must and the largest western-European orthodox church (called the Uspenskij Cathedral) you find here. Ofcourse, there's a lot more to experience in Finland. Other cities worth visiting are Tampere, Oulu, Kuopio and Turku (among others). I would also recommend Lohja, in southern Finland. It's only about 40 kilometers from Helsinki (45 min. with car). Here you can go to the Tytyri mine, known from the TV-show "The Amazing Race". Lohja is also the "Apple capital" of Finland, and there are posibillities of going visiting an applefarmer.

Then we have Lapland, in the North of Finland. Here you'll get to meet Santa Claus (the real one) and his helpers at his office in Korvatunturi. In the winter you can go skiing at one of the many skicenters, and watch the Northern Lights (amazing, watch video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc3FxNXjBs0). Dog sledding is also popular. In the summer, you'll be able yo go hiking in the mountains. This is also possible during the spring and autumn. Imagine when the leaves are getting red and yellow. Absolutely stunning!

The Åland Islands are worth seeing. Do a stop over, if your one your way frm Sweden to Finland or the other way around. Ferries are going from Turku and Helsinki. Mariehamn, the capital of Åland offers you gourmet restaurants as well as more simple ones. Shopaholic? We'll, this is your place. Take a day trip from Mariehamn to Geta, in the North, where you can go hiking or enjoy the spa at Hotel Havsvidden, with views over the ocean (Åland is so small that it will take you about 30 minutes to across the main island!). Or drive/ride a rental bicycle down from Mariehamn and stop at the little cafe, which name I don't remember at the moment.

These were a few tips about Finland, If you have any questions about Finland, Finnish culture, when to travel, anything, I'll be more than happy to answer! I'm so proud of my country and I cannot wait to welcome more people to discover the treasure if the North. Now before I get too mythical and nationalistic, I'll finish my boasty text, adios!

Brussels - my second home

You all probably know all the zillion reasons to love Finland. But I'd be unfaithful if I wouldn't mention Brussels. This city means incredibly much for me. It's almost hard to even write about it. Brussels is my second home. It's the city I've grown up in. The city where I packed my schoolbag for the very first time. The city where I found one of my best friends in. Brussels is simply fantastic. It's a collection of small things that makes me want to honour it for hours - fresh pain au chocolat from the local bakery, the first rays of sun in Cinquantenaire park, eating moules frites on the balcony, strolling around in Quartier Marolles, spending the car free day with friends, family and bicycles, afternoon shopping at Avenue Louise and so on, for hours. Bruxelles je t'aime!

• Intro Updated Jan 30, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
EgoAmorMundi's Profile Photo

EgoAmorMundi

“YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.