"Eagerly exploring places and cultures!" eagerexplorer's Profile

Where it all started

I grew up in Quezon City, one of the cities in Metro Manila, but I spent my childhood summers in Ilocos and Baguio since my parents are both from Ilocos and I have an aunt residing in Baguio. My family and I used to spend weekends picnicking in Tagaytay, about 2 hours away from Manila.

We never went outside the country for vacation. We had little trips here and there, including visits to the Hundred Islands, the Ifugao Rice terraces and Sagada, and Bicolandia. (Note that I am using Ifugao and not Banaue, because you have to go outside of Banaue to see the beautiful rice terraces).

It was only when I started working did I get to realize that not everyone was able to experience this during their childhood years. How lucky can I get!

Then I went to college

I never really expected that I would get out of the country in college. But let me stop you right there. No, I was never an exchange student. I never enrolled in a university outside the Philippines. But I got to travel.

The first of these escapades came in 2008, where I went to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. The following year, I got to see five cities: KL, Bangkok, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and HCMC.

Then I became a bum

After graduation, I went to the United States for a little vacation. It's not exactly little, it was 2.5 months. I was able to see NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Baltimore, Epcot Center in Florida, New Orleans, Chicago and some parts of the New England states. By the end of this period, I missed the Philippines already! A few days after coming back to the country, I went to Sabah, visiting Kota Kinabalu and Brunei. Snorkeling in KK was great!

Bum no more

Okay, my family is not really rich. By the end of the Sabah trip, I began to search for a job. Lucky for me, I got one after some weeks.

A year later, I was off to Beijing to see the Great Wall! And yes, it was spectacular. Forget the Forbidden City, I loved Jingshan Park!!! That's the park north of the Forbidden City, where you can see the whole palace when you are on top of the hill.

Beijing is huge! I spent about a week there, but I had to skip a number of sights as there are so many places to see and things to experience. I particularly would have wanted to go to the Prince Gong Mansion, but since it was my first time to watch a drum performance, I stayed up in the drum tower forgoing the other destination.

I will travel more!

2012 marked a very important year for me. It was during this year that I realized that I wanted to travel the world. I'm not sure how it will happen, but I hope and pray that it will happen. This is the same year that I started writing about the journeys I am taking (http://eagerexplorer.wordpress.com), so that I can hopefully inspire and help others in their travels too.

I traveled to Java and Singapore this May, and am planning to go to HK and Macau in November. Visiting local provinces is also included in my plans. See you around, fellow travelers!

• Intro Updated Jun 26, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
eagerexplorer's Profile Photo

eagerexplorer

““All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber”

Real Name