"bittersweet singapore experience...." Singapore by rairaiken

Singapore Travel Guide: 4,570 reviews and 10,393 photos

excited!!

i was super excited since this is my first travel abroad.i have a ticket for manila since i love to book tickets ahead.i begged my brother who is in the US to get me a ticket to singapore,it was out of nowhere that i went online checked www.cebupacificair.com and decided i want to go to singapore,it was almost my birthday so my brother who loves me so much eventually booked a ticket for me.that was april and my travel date was september.i kept reading blogs,checking itineraries i can use online.i was suuuuper excited.i checked online what are the do's and don't's.i have officemates in the BPO industry who've been to singapore and they said it's a very nice place but very strict.they even joked that i will not be able to enter singapore since i have dyed hair and they might suspect me as a GRO,i hated them.i didn't mind those things since i am very confident i can make it.i spoke with a friend who works as an assistant chef in singapore and she said i can stay with her.the plan is to stay in singapore for 5 days and probably visit malaysia and indonesia..i was super excited!!a month before my travel date i spoke with carmelle,my friend who works in singapore and confirmed about the plan and she said it's a go.now a week before i leave i just found out from another friend from cagayan de oro where i'm from that carmelle is back in cdo and she has no plans of going back to singapore.i was so MAD!!.why didn't she tell me!!grrr!!i unfriend her on facebook! and never spoke to her.i was then panicking on what to do.i already booked a bed in the IN CROWD in little india also booked with beesy bus for my transportation from the airport.this cannot be!!i seek help from my sister to ask her friend who also works in singapore if I can obtain an invitation letter with her passport printed out,good thing she helped me.so i got my tickets,invitation letter with passport,accomodation,trnasportation and Oh never to forget..chi ching!!i have US dollars,singaporean dollars and peso..i had a lot of money hehe..i had amost 70,000 pesos pocket money.my friend Lou who was in singapore the previous month said that if i was asked how much money do i have i can just say 20,000 pesos since that's what he declared.i was happy again.

manila-singapore..

i didn't party on my last night in manila but the night before i partied hard in ICON,it was fun.on my way to NAIA 3,wearing a black zara blouse bought in glorrieta,my denim jacket and levis jeans then my black toms shoes i was ready to go.my friends told me not to wear flashy outfit and makeup so avoid problems.i was so confident.it was a long 3 hour flight,i was super excited.around 9 am we reached the Changi airport,there's just a few of us.BTW,funny thing my friend Lou told me not to approach a male immigration officer because hey are strict so i tried checking the imigration officers and saw an indian lady so I approached her with all smiles,got a candy then she asked me how long i will be in singapore i told her 5 days,she llooked at me.she asked if i've ever travelled before then i told her it's my first travel out of the country.she asked how much money do i have i told her 20,000 then she asked $?i told her peso.she asked me the purpose of my travel i told her i want to visit universal studios and just tour.she asked why i speak good english i told her i work in a callcenter.that time i was getting nervous,this isn't good.why am i asked all of these questions.i was greaking out!then she called the lady guard and asked me to follow her.OMG!what's wrong.my heart is racing,i was so scared!they led me to a glass room with 2 other girls.1 i think works as a GRO she was so relax she said it's her 3rd time being held and the other 1 was a yaya,they are both from manila.i was so scared.i was trembling.i asked them what could have gone wrong they said they have no idea.i was worried if maybe someone used my name and entered singapore i dunno i was so scared!!hello!!flor contemplacion!gosh what's this.then a lady guard asked me to follow her,she took my handprints.i didn;t asked them what's wrong.i was too scared to ask.i just followed whatever they want me to do.they had me take everything out of my bag.everything in my wallet.they asked my i have a lot of clothes though it's ot that much just about 5 to7 pairs and i told them i went shopping on my stopover then they saw i have $$'s in ym bag and they said you have more money??then i said yes,i didn;t thought it was necessary to deckare everything.then they asked me to put back everything again back in my back.i was trewmbling.i arranged my stuff when i left manila now it's like garbage.what the hell is going on!!i said in my mind.i was then asked to go back in the glass room.i was so woried because were outside the room and they kept pointing at us.the yaya said she has no money she only has 38 pesos but someone is fetching her who was already out side by now,i was htinking aboutthe beesy bus,they're supposed to fetch me in the airport around 10 am now it's already 10:30.then i saw a police outside the room.OMG am going to be deported??i guess my officemates were right.then the lady guard called my and told me to hand my passport to the officer.i felt numb,in wanna go home and put his behind me,i'm not going back to singapore.then like a voice of an angel the oficer said here's your passport,enjoy your stay in singapore!I'M IN!!

i'm in!

immediately i grabbed my bag and head to the doors,I'M IN but still it's not enough,i was traumatized!i was shaking and felt like crying.what have i done to deserve this?and it was never clear to me what happended why they held me up.then i reached the outside of the airport i approached a filipino guy and asked if he was waiting for someone and he said yes it was the yaya and told him what happened,he felt said he said he tried to ask an officer regarding the yaya but they never bothered to answer his questions,it was their country and they make the decisions.i know singapore is a rich country but i think they should me more respectful to their guest.i don't blame them also since there really are a lot of Filipino's who work there illegally.then he wished me luck in my stay in singapore also he let me borrow his phone to call the beesy bus who was also kind enough the driver went back to the airport and fetch me.i arrived in the IN CROWD,paid my reservation and sat on a chair.i sat there for 20 minutes,i was stunned.i used my blackberry and BBM my brother told him what happened.i was at lost,i never imagined this would happen to me.i wanna cry,hug somebody and shout at someone but i cannot do that.i was alone,in a foreign land.my brother told me to brush it off and have fun so i sucked it up.it's time to have the great singapore experience!!MORE ADVENTURES TO COME!!

• Pros:very clean place and lovely shops.lots of places to visit.
  • Cons:their immigration gave me a hard time and i am still traumatize with the experience.
  • In a nutshell:It was a great experience,i will go back to singapore in a couple of years.
  • Last visit to Singapore: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 20, 2012

Comments

rairaiken

“google is your friend.. do not be afraid to hit the search button :_”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Singapore

Have you been to Singapore?

Latest Activity in Singapore