"Aigues-Mortes" Aigues-Mortes by shannsow
Aigues-Mortes Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 124 photos
The foundation of the city is attributed to Gaius Marius, around 102 BC, but the first document mentioning a place called "Ayga Mortas" (dead waters) dates from the 10th century AD.
Louis IX of France (Saint Louis) rebuilt the port in the 13th century as France's only Mediterranean port at that time. It was the embarkation point of the Seventh Crusade (1248) and the Eighth Crusade (1270).
The 1,650 meters of city walls were built in two phases: the first during the reign of Philippe III the Bold and the second during the reign of Philippe IV the Fair, who had the enclosure completed between 1289 and 1300. The Constance Tower, completed in 1248, is all that remains of the castle built in Louis IX's reign. It was designed to be impregnable with six-meter-thick walls. A spiral staircase leads to the different levels of the tower.
From 1575 to 1622, Aigues-Mortes was one of the eight safe havens granted to the Protestants. The revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 caused severe repression of Protestantism, which was marked in Languedoc and the Cévennes in the early 18th century by the "Camisard War". Like other towers in the town, from 1686 onwards, the Constance Tower was used as a prison for the Huguenots who refused to convert to Roman Catholicism. In 1703, Abraham Mazel, leader of the Camisards, managed to escape with sixteen companions.
In 1893, a conflict erupted between the French and the Italians who worked in the salt evaporation ponds of Peccais. The Massacre of Italians at Aigues-Mortes resulted in nine (maybe many more: 400 victims in Le migrazioni di ieri e di oggi by Giovanni Gozzini) Italian deaths with hundreds injured in the ethnic violence
shannsow's Related Pages
Aigues-Mortes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great well preserved medieval city"
- "Aigues-Mortes, a medeveal harbour"
- "Aigues Mortes in the Camargue"
- "Aigues-Mortes - Salt Town"
- "The walled city in the Camargue"
- "The City in the Dead Waters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aigues-Mortes
- Hotels in Aigues-Mortes
- Transportation in Aigues-Mortes
- Restaurants in Aigues-Mortes
- Shopping in Aigues-Mortes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aigues-Mortes
- 1 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Aigues-Mortes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aigues-Mortes
Photos in Aigues-MortesSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 90 photos, 7 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 16 reviews, 67 photos
- Penang Intro, 13 reviews, 63 photos
- Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Penyu Intro, 7 reviews, 36 photos
- Sapi Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos
- Lausanne Intro, 5 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Le Grau-du-Roi Intro, 1 review, 33 photos, 5 travelogues