"Spanish territory, Mexican territory, & now my ter" Mission Hills by BorderHopper

Mission Hills Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 90 photos

I'm suprised to find my actual hometown here on VT. Mission Hills is located in northern Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley & its the place I grew up and now live. Though I consider my hometown to be Los Angeles, thanks to its international name recognition, Mission Hills is where I live. Believe it or not Mission Hills does have a history & its not just another incorporated town of the Los Angeles metropolis.
Before me & before my home there were the Fernandenos & Shoshonean Indians, who were the original inhabitants. The Fernandenos were famed for their basket making, peaceful temperaments and ingenuity in utilizing the native plants. In later years they were converted by the padres and lived at the mission, from which there name is derived & for which our city name, Mission HIlls, is derived.
Spain claimed the Valley from 1769 on, when Portola discovered the area en route to the north. Spain established the mission chain and ceded land grants to the favored.
In 1822 Mexico secured her independence, and it was this government which secularized the missions in 1834. No later than this date a one-room structure was built, now the sala (living room), with the Indians from the Mission doing most of the work. It is not known for what use it was built - a home?, for storage? It could have been part of the Mission complex. During the Mexican regime, wars were being waged between the north and south of California, against the Mexican government, and ultimately against the United States.
Eventually this land fell under the control & governing of the United States & Mission Hills became part of the city of Los Angeles...it also became my home which is pictured above.

Andres Pico, the man who once owned the land (1845-1872 on which my house, pictured above, stands today. His adobe is a short walk away from my own home.

• Intro Updated Apr 3, 2004

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2005 at 6:10 PM

Thank you James for the wonderful memories. I was there when the freeway collapsed and every street name is familiar to me. I worked in Van Nuys and had friends all over the valley. Great pages! ~Elaine~

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 10:59 PM

James, an outstanding introduction; loved all the travelogues. You at work was wonderful to see. Mission San fernando, Rey de Espana was also interesting. Love your style and thoroughness.Super photos too.

• awayhome's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2004 at 11:18 PM

Our home-))

• jennykp's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 2:53 PM

Home sweet home.. Jimmy, your descriptions are very informative.... and hey.. where is a picture of your friend Jenny?

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2003 at 12:27 PM

James, your stories and pictures are very impressive, I would visit your city with pleasure...

BorderHopper

“"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.”

Badges & Stats in Mission Hills

Have you been to Mission Hills?

Photos in Mission Hills