"Highlands of North Western Honduras" Honduras by BorderHopper
Honduras Travel Guide: 1,515 reviews and 4,266 photos
The road to Honduras began for us at 4 am in Antigua, Guatemala where we boarded a "share van" for the nearly 8 hour drive through Guatemala and into the mountain highlands of the Copan Valley in Honduras. I was travelling with my wife Wacharaporn and our 4 year old son McKinley on this leg of our Central America journey. We were joined by a bus full of Western backpackers and a few locals who were on the usual backpacker trail through Central America. After a desayuno stop at a roadside restaurant in Guatemala our only other stop was at the Honduran/Guatemalan border which was a simple post in the hills with a white line and swinging gate arm seperating the two nations. Once we entered the Copan Valley we came upon the small town of Copan Ruinas which is set on a hill side adjacent to the Rio Arcagual, and located only a few kilometers from the Mayan ruins which brought us to this part of Hinduras in the first place.
We hired a "tuk tuk" taxi to take us to the archaeological site at Copan. We honestly didn't know what to expect from Copan and its Mayan ruins, but after seeing the place I'd have to say its one of the more spectacular Mayan sites I have seen. Tikal is grand, but Copan is intricate. My son followed the path into the park and brought us to the "Great Plaza" where we made our first impressions of Copan. I instantly knew that this would be a special place for us as i starred up at the Stelae of King 18 Rabbit & gazed upon the Mayan ball court off in the distance over a vast stretch of green, manicured grass. We spent hours exploring Copan.
The people we encountered in this little pocket of Honduras were very friendly and kind to us. My son always finds a way to make friends & often it is him who opens the local people up to us. Our memories of Honduras and her people will endure in our hearts and I hope we will return one day to experience more of this wonderful country.
BorderHopper's Related Pages
Honduras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Worthy of Many Returns!"
- "Honduras - The essence of Central America"
- "LATINO82's An Earthly Paradise HONDURAS"
- "Map of Honduras"
- "Central American Nation with Plenty to Offer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Honduras
- Hotels in Honduras
- Transportation in Honduras
- Nightlife in Honduras
- Restaurants in Honduras
- Shopping in Honduras
- Warnings and Dangers in Honduras
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Honduras
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Honduras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honduras
Top 10 Pages
- Kyoto Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 57 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 46 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mae Sai Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nicaragua Intro, 27 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 39 reviews, 35 photos
- Thailand Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 28 reviews, 32 photos
- Indonesia Intro, 31 reviews, 23 photos