"Viet Nam: My Journies Through Indochina" Vietnam by BorderHopper
Vietnam Travel Guide: 12,596 reviews and 31,747 photos
My first visit to Viet Nam was back in April of 1998 and needless to say it turned out to be an experience of a lifetime. My first trip to Viet Nam left me with a desire to see more of this beautiful South East Asian nation & it also fostered a desire to see more of the world. Back in '98 my trip took me to Ho Chi Minh City in the south & I'd be lying if I said I didn't experience a bit of culture shock. That initial culture shock really was a result of the extreme humidity, the chaotic streets of Saigon, and the food. I was a novice traveller back then but within several days I had adjusted and was loving every moment I spent in this historically rich country.
I returned home to Los Angeles after that first trip and my thoughts were consumed with memories of that first journey. I just couldn't concentrate on work & life in general so I started planning a second trip. In February of 1999 my buddy and I flew to Saigon and tried the backpacker thing around the South. This time our journey took us throughout South East Asia and I still didn't fully satisy my desire to see all that Viet Nam had to offer.
My third trip to Viet Nam was probably the most rewarding and memorable because it was my most lengthy journey taking me from the northern most border with China, south down Highway 1, and all the way to Saigon and the Cambodian border. I spent two months, and over that course of time I met so many wonderful people and learned so much about this wonderful country. This travelouge includes photos from each of my trips to the country and in time I hope to update the tips. If you haven't already I hope that one day you will also experience a journey to Viet Nam!
- Pros:The extremely friendly Vietnamese people coupled with their amazing history will surely keep you fascinated with this beautiful country.
- Cons:I'm not a big fan of the Communist government & their mastery of "red tape".
- In a nutshell:Visit it for yourself.
Near the Caodai temple is Black Lady Mountain. From its peak you can look west into Cambodia. It is possible to hike the... more travel advice
Pho is most commonly eaten for breakfast but can be enjoyed all throught the day. The soup consists of a broth with... more travel advice
- See All If you want to get away from...
- See All In this photo you can see the...
- Packing List
- See All Visit the former DMZ
BorderHopper's Related Pages
Vietnam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A narrow land with a bit of everything"
- "Tampa_Shawn Visits Vietnam"
- "Count your Dong in Vietnam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vietnam
- Hotels in Vietnam
- Transportation in Vietnam
- Nightlife in Vietnam
- Restaurants in Vietnam
- Shopping in Vietnam
- Warnings and Dangers in Vietnam
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vietnam
- 59 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Vietnam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vietnam
- Commented on one of GlobeTrekr's Vietnam travel pages
- Posted in Travel Mexico Forum "You'll love Mexico !"
- updated a Vietnam Travel Page "Viet Nam: My Journies Through Indochina"
- Wrote a Review Near the Caodai temple is... in Vietnam Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Viet Nam: My Journies Through Indochina"
Top 10 Pages
- Kyoto Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 57 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 46 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mae Sai Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nicaragua Intro, 27 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 39 reviews, 35 photos
- Thailand Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 28 reviews, 32 photos
- Indonesia Intro, 31 reviews, 23 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Top Vietnam hotels
- Ho Chi Minh City Hotels
- 3125 Reviews - 7253 Photos
- Hanoi Hotels
- 2727 Reviews - 6014 Photos
- Nha Trang Hotels
- 446 Reviews - 1012 Photos
- Hoi An Hotels
- 802 Reviews - 1717 Photos
- Phan Thiet Hotels
- 161 Reviews - 424 Photos
- Vung Tau Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Sapa Hotels
- 184 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Da Nang Hotels
- 70 Reviews - 183 Photos
- Da Lat Hotels
- 252 Reviews - 807 Photos
- Hue Hotels
- 621 Reviews - 1726 Photos
- Phu Quoc Hotels
- 108 Reviews - 280 Photos
- Can Tho Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 281 Photos
- Quy Nhon Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 51 Photos
- Ha Long Hotels
- 458 Reviews - 1604 Photos
- Haiphong Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 106 Photos