"The Beautiful Lands of Mexico" Mexico by BorderHopper

Mexico Travel Guide: 21,090 reviews and 50,340 photos

Arrival in Guadalajara & overland thru Michocan

Guadalajara, Mexico to Mexico City Overland: With some additional info on Tijuana, Baja, and the northern border region.

March 2000: After weeks of preperation and anticipation Rafael, Ronnie and I were finally in Mexico. This was to be a much needed break from work and our lives back in Los Angeles. We landed in Guadalajara, the second largest city in Mexico at 5:30 am. The taxi ride from the airport to the main bus terminal was an assult on our senses. I had to agree with Ronnie when he commented that it smelled like we had just crawled up into the intestine of everyone in Guadalajara. We didn't need coffee at this early hour because we had the foul, putrid smells of untreated Guadalajaran sewage to wake us up. Within a weeks time we had accomplished what we came here for.... to stand among the pyramids of Mesoamerica's first metropolis, Teotihuacan. So, this is where our journey across the Central Highlands of Mexico begins...

From Michocan to Teotihuacan

From Guadalajara, Jalisco we traveled by bus to Zamora, Chavinda, Morelia, and Patzcuaro which are all cities and villages located in the state of Michocan. From Michocan we travelled by bus over beautiful mountains and countryside until we arrived in the megatropolis capital D.F. Mexico. We used Mexico City as a base to explore the ancient city of Teotihuacan and the spectacular Pryamids of the Sun & Moon.

Further Explorations of Mexico

I live only 2 and half hours from the Mexico border so it is very easy for me and my family to travel south of the border as we often do. We usually cross the border south of San Diego, California into Tijuana, Baja and head to our favorite weekend destination in Ensenada. There are only a few significant towns located on Mexico's nearly isolated stretch of Baja and a traveller could drive for miles without encountering another person. Baja is truly the outback of Mexico and an amazing place to explore.

• Pros:A vibrant, multi-cultural, & historic country. A gem of a country!
  • Cons:cartels & drug wars. Over touristed gringo resorts.
  • In a nutshell:There is more to Mexico than Tijuana & Tequila
  • Last visit to Mexico: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 9, 2007

• Dec 21, 2006 at 5:24 PM

Nice.

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 12:42 PM

Hi James, thanks for your tips! enjoyed reading your page, we will be heading for Patzcuaro and the Michoacan in December :o) ~ Helen

• Oct 15, 2006 at 3:52 PM

Lovely pictures and Great page! Nikos

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2006 at 3:07 AM

thanks for the tips. every day on VT is a learning experience and helps making the plans more substantial. Our route through Mexico will be on the east coast into Belize. Your backpacking RTW sounds great! thanks again for the good tips.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2006 at 10:38 AM

A nice combination of pictures and tips! You must have had a wonderful time in Mexico, James. I'm hoping we'll be seeing some of it in the coming year...

• goga4444's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2006 at 5:59 PM

Great tips and pics. I wish to see all that someday :)

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2006 at 1:52 PM

Grazie for the visit and you've seen places I can only now dream about. Best wishes, Carol

• Martman's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 8:37 AM

If some one wants to cross the border the informal way, I am curious the chances of being able to swim around that fence.

• BlaTboy's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 4:24 PM

Sawadee kap James HAPPY NEW YEAR!! WOW ! Is all I can say after seeing your pics on the other site. Lucky you w/ all the travel'n, I am still stuck at home w/ wrecked back =( Oh well, SOON I will be out & about . Cheers B-out

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2005 at 1:51 PM

fantastic page made with passion. A lot of beautiful pictures, great suggestions, extremely good advices and information! Well, what is the comida? :-)

BorderHopper

“"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.”

Badges & Stats in Mexico