"Mae Sai & The Golden Triangle" Top 5 Page for this destination Mae Sai by BorderHopper
Mae Sai Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 202 photos
My family & I have been travelling to Mae Sai over the past few years. It's a region of Thailand that we've really grown to love. The weather is tolerable, the scenery is beautiful, and with each trip we find something new to see & experience. On our last trip to Mae Sai we brought along our friends, Ronnie McCord of Los Angeles & Jason, My, and Connie Bisson of Hanoi, to take part in our annual adventure in the Golden Triangle. With our children in tow we headed to Thailand's most northern point, Mae Sai, which sits squarely in the Golden Triangle just across the river from Tachilek, Myanmar (Burma).
Mae Sai is about 1 hour north of Chiang Rai. From Bangkok you can easily take a direct bus to Chiang Rai and then catch a local bus from the depot for the one hour ride to Mae Sai. (You can also fly on one of the airlines that fly from Bangkok to Chiang Rai.) From the Mae Sai bus station its about another 10 minute moto ride to the actual border crossing for Myanmar. Many people come to Mae Sai for the oppurtunity to cross into Burma for a short visit in the town of Tachilek. You can easily get a one day pass from the Burmese authorities for $5 usd, but they hold onto your passport until you return that same day to Thailand. Mae Sai is also a nice base which can be used to explore the beautiful countryside and the once infamous Golden Triangle. The Mekong River is a day trip away by moto and it is where you can see the convergence of two rivers, the Ruak & the Mekong, that forms the border to three countries...Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos. All are easily visited by boat which you can hire for about 300 baht in Sop Ruak, Thailand!
The town of Mae Sai is just a good place to bed down while you are in the region. Its not a very big city so its pretty easy to get around and renting a moto for countryside excursions is easily done at the Honda dealership in town. My wife & I have been to this region 3 times & spent about a week each time in Mae Sai where we discovered many things, all equally fascinating, that kept us busy throughout our stay there. The Opium fields have been totally eradicated in the Golden Triangle region within Thailand have been replaced with other cash crops such as tobacco. The fields are green and expansive and spread across the land like an emerald blanket which reaches the base of the numerous limestone mountains that dot the region. There are plenty of caves to explore, hidden lakes to swim, open roads to ride, winding rivers to fish, and hillside villages to wander. Best of all the weather is superb in the winter time & the air is fresh!
- Pros:Green fields, limestone mountains, open roads and fresh air!
- Cons:Nightlife can be limited here so expect quite nights (not really a con).
- In a nutshell:A great place if you want to hit three countries in one day...Thailand, Burma, and Laos!
Many times while riding a motorbike in South East Asia I've been caught in a sudden down pour only to get soaking wet.... more travel advice
The motorbike ride out to Sop Ruak from Mae Sai was a lot of fun, but tiring, so by the time we crossed the Mekong for... more travel advice
- See All You don't see the monks walking around...
- See All Japanese owned budget accommodation
- See All Mother Earth
- See All You Never Know Where a Road Will Lead...
- See All Fishing, Thai Style!
- See All Sidewalk Buffet On the Streets of Mae...
- See All Renting a Honda Motorbike in Mae Sai
- A shoppers paradise
- Opium Fields and Burmese Soldiers
- Your Burma Border Crossing....
- Find the river & you'll find your beer!
Been to Mae Sai?Share your travels with the world!
BorderHopper's Related Pages
Mae Sai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mae Sai & The Golden Triangle"
- "Mae Saen: more than just the city at the border"
- "Mae Sai - Northern most point of Thailand"
- "Mae Sai"
- "MYANMAR FOR THE DAY"
- "Mae Sai Border"
- "Mae Sai - The far north of Thailand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mae Sai
- Hotels in Mae Sai
- Transportation in Mae Sai
- Nightlife in Mae Sai
- Restaurants in Mae Sai
- Shopping in Mae Sai
- Warnings and Dangers in Mae Sai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mae Sai
- 34 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mae Sai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mae Sai
- Posted in Travel Mexico Forum "You'll love Mexico !"
- updated a Mae Sai Travel Page "Mae Sai & The Golden Triangle"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mae Sai & The Golden Triangle"
- Commented on one of Phalaenopsis03's Mae Sai travel pages
- Wrote a Review Rain Gear For Those South East Asian Showers in Mae Sai What to Pack
Photos in Mae SaiSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Kyoto Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 57 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 46 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mae Sai Intro, 34 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nicaragua Intro, 27 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 39 reviews, 35 photos
- Thailand Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 28 reviews, 32 photos
- Indonesia Intro, 31 reviews, 23 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Mae Sai hotel reviews
- Tip Sukon House
- 1 Review & Opinion