New York City Things to Do Tips by Benson35
New York City Things to Do: 5,407 reviews and 8,843 photos
This is my favourite building in the whole of New York. I love the top of it. It's art deco style (which I think is the attraction for me) and when the sun catches it, it sparkles like diamonds!!
It would a shame to miss if you're touring New York.
The Chrysler Building used to be the tallest skyscraper in New York until The Empire State Building was erected in 1931. I was told on my tour that it is the tallest brick skyscraper in the world (although it does have a steel skeleton).
Address: 405 Lexington Avenue New York, NY 10174
We bought a ticket that lasted 48 hours with the New York Sightseeing company. Which covered all loops (all routes around the city) and also a night tour.
We did all of them over the two days - I highly recommend the night tour, places are so different at night. We got off at the places we were really interested in and got to see the places that were in walking distance for us.
I love tour buses. You are shown the sights by the people that either lived there or have worked there for many years. The tour guides give their own opinions and you don't get the same guide twice with the bus hopping!
You can buy tickets from the driver or tour guide on the bus. The tickets are checked every time you board. The prices also vary as to which offer you choose to take.
With our hotel being a 5 minute walk from Times Square, this is where I came every morning to read the news with a Starbucks in hand!
There is so much to see in Times Square! There are souvnir shops, resturants such as Bubba Gump Shrimp and TGI Fridays, the Hershey's shop, Toys 'R' Us, Sephora and much more!
Of course, there is also the 'naked cowboy'! He is a man wearing a cowboy hat, stood in the middle of Times Square, playing a guitar and singing! There is always a crowd around him and he hasn't got a bad voice either!!
The building where the 'ball drops' on New Years Eve is situated here and also MTV headquarters where it's not unusual to see crowds stood outside waiting for their idols to enter the building! The New York Police Department is also in Times Square which is lit up so there is no chance of missing it!
Go at night and see the neon lights of Times Square - brilliant.
Times Square is also a pick-up/drop-off point for all bus tours of the city.
Directions: 42nd Street, Brodway & 7th avenue
To enter the Empire State Building there is a cost. You travel up to to the observation deck on the 86th floor by lift. The views are amazing. You can have a 360 degree view of Manhattan. You don't realise how many buildings have been fitted on the island!
If you want the best views of New York City, this is the place to get them!
Address: 350 5th Avenue
Directions: 1, 2, 3 or 9 (Seventh Avenue Lines), A, C or E (Eighth Avenue Subway) to 34th Street/Penn Station.
Phone: (212) 947-1360
This tour was one of the highlights of my time in New York. I am so glad that I did it and urge you not to miss it out.
We got a ferry from Battery Park which stopped at Liberty Island and Ellis Island.
We didn't get off at Liberty Island as you had a fantastic view of 'The Staute of Liberty' or sometimes known as 'Lady Liberty' from the ferry. We also thought that with not being able to climb Lady Liberty at that time, we would spend more time on Ellis Island.
For a small cost, we hired an audio tour (an iPod) and it was the best few dollars we spent. You can take the tour at your own pace with the option to pause the tour when you want to spend more time in/at a particular feature. To get onto and into Ellis Island, there is no cost. If you wish to walk around the buildings yourself, you are very welcome to, again, without cost.
With not having any prior knowledge of what Ellis Island was I was fasinated as the tour began. Ellis Island was used as a way into New York City as an immigrant from 1892-1954. More than 12 million immigrants passed through the doors.
The audio tour explain how the immigrants were treated and what they had to go through before being able to start a new life in New York. For example, a medical had to be preformed. Adults and children were marked with huge crosses on their clothes in accordance to what the Doctors found, and families were separated.
There is a museum and cafe there also
Directions: South Ferry at Battery Park - Take the #5 train to Bowling Green or #1 to South Ferry
Benson35's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "I loved it - and I don't even like apples!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Explore the World
- Svartsö Hotels
- Judetul Bistrita-Nasaud Hotels
- Chipoka Hotels
- Van Wert Hotels
- Mount Lavinia
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
Top 10 Pages
- Bergamo Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 19 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Prince Albert Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos
- Skipton Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Liverpool Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saskatoon Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Gundogdu Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Blackpool Intro, 9 reviews, 38 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (48)
Latest New York City hotel reviews
- San Carlos Hotel
- 465 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- 1871 House
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Times Square West Hostel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2008
- Club Quarters Midtown
- 444 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott New York City Manhattan Upper East Side
- 358 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Wanderers Inn Hostel East
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 17, 2013
- Wingate Inn Manhattan Midtown
- 678 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Jazz on the Town Hostel
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 11, 2011
- West Eleventh Historic Townhouse Apartments
- 271 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 20, 2012
- W New York Times Square
- 1821 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan
- 573 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Night Hotel
- 770 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The St. Regis Club at the Essex House, New York
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 12, 2012
- Hostel 104
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2011
- Greenwich Hotel
- 262 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Times Square- 266 Reviews, 411 Photos
- Central Park- 400 Reviews, 719 Photos
- Rockefeller Center- 210 Reviews, 357 Photos
- Empire State Building- 368 Reviews, 598 Photos
- Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island- 399 Reviews, 628 Photos
- Fifth Avenue- 58 Reviews, 91 Photos
- South Street Seaport- 68 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Chinatown- 102 Reviews, 137 Photos
- Wall Street- 139 Reviews, 237 Photos
- Ground Zero - World Trade Center- 147 Reviews, 264 Photos
See All New York City Things to Do