"Breathtaking (west rim)" Grand Canyon by Benson35

Grand Canyon Travel Guide: 933 reviews and 3,112 photos

A little background

I've been to the Grand Canyon west rim three times. I've walked to the edge and sat down, flew down in a helicopter and had a boat ride along the Colorado River that runs along the bottom of the Canyon.
Each time has been breathtaking and quite an indescribable experience (although I'm attempting to describe it for you).

The west rim of the Grand Canyon is the land of the Hualapai American Indian Tribe. There are more than 2000 members of the tribe and their land covers a large stretch of the Colorado River and miles of the Grand Canyon. To secure freedom for future generations, the leaders of the Hualapai Tribe decided to open up some of their land to tourists. Here we are now with amazing view-points and a variety of ways to see the Grand Canyon and the opportunity to learn some of the history of the Hualapai Tribe.

To find out more about the Hualapai Nation, visit www.grandcanyonwest.com

The West Rim

The trips I have done have included Guano Point, Eagle Point, lunch and the most recent, a ticket for the Skywalk. I will personally never go on the Skywalk for my own reasons (no fear of heights here), but if that's what you fancy - go for it!!

The west rim has changed so much since my first visit in 2006. The Hauapai tribe have worked hard to make it more tourist friendly and also ensured their own income which is fantastic.

To be at the Grand Cayon, looking over the edge and into the distance, with the blissful yet strangely eerie silence, is a feeling I cannot describe. The views are astounding. Your mind starts racing wondering how it came to be, how long it took, how people lived on this land; how they protected it, that you can understand why some Native American's come here to die.

An experience not to be missed.

My next trip to the Grand Canyon will be to the South Rim to explore there!!

How to book a tour & some tips

You can book your tour through a travel agent or on the internet before you leave for Vegas. Alternatively, there is a Grand Canyon Tours shop on the Strip next to the MGM Grand (big yellow sign) that will happily sort you out with the tour of your choice. I have used both of these methods and had no problems at all.

Some websites:

www.lasvegasgrandcanyontour.com
(about average price - south and west rim tours including helicopter/boat/rafting options)

www.papillon.com
(I have used this company for helicopter flights)

www.allgrandcanyontours.com
(Offer many options at competitive prices)

Please don't be afraid to book tours over the internet - I've never had a problem.

Helpful tips
-The temperature can reach 100+ degrees easily. Cover up and remember your sun screen and hat.
- Wear comfortable shoes - heels won't work here!
-It's an early start and a tiring day (but well worth it!!).
- Find out where you are going to be picked up the day before so you don't have to dash about in the morning.
- Depending on the tour you book; you are fed! I always took something anyway incase I didn't like what was provided. Snacks for the coach journey and a bottle of water is a good idea.

• Last visit to Grand Canyon: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 26, 2012

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I enjoyed your description of this trip,sounds soo memorable! A bit amazing that i havent gotten to the grand canyon yet! regards from the washington dc area

• Benson35's Profile Photo
      Dec 30, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my page. Get yourself to the Grand Canyon, it's truly amazing :)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM

WoW!! I just love your writing style Hayley :o) Your experiences here sound wonderful! Told hubby that we have to do the chopper trip when we visit. And I am looking forward to learning about and seeing the Indian ways. We enjoy learning about the Aboriginals here in Australia. Cheers, Ann.

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

We are off to Vegas in September and will be doing a trip to the Grand Canyon. Looks exciting. We are looking at north rim as I think it is less touristy. Great pictures...well done x

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Hayley, it was a splendid experience...You did right!~

Benson35

“Decide, explore, have fun, love”

Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon

Have you been to Grand Canyon?

Latest Activity in Grand Canyon