"Live, laugh, love" Benson35's Profile

My name's Benson and I'm now a virtual tourist!

Well hello there!
I think to start from the beginning, I've always had a travel bug in me!
I'm now in my twenties and have travelled far more than I ever could have imagined.

As a child we mainly holidayed in Spain. Then as my sister and I grew too old to qualify for free child places, we holidayed in the UK.
I've had the most amazing holidays in the Yorkshire Dales and Northumberland. A lot of people don't realise how beautiful our country is; they don't apreciate what's on the doorstep.

When I left college and went out into the big wide working world, I discovered the most amazing thing - I could afford to travel!!

At 18 years of age I packed a backpack and went to explore some of Europe with a friend after saving every penny I earned. We travelled through Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy and Spain, staying in Youth Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels and even on a suitcase trolley outside an airport!

Since then, I've had the most amazing time discovering my own little wonders of the world and am always planning my next trip!!

Why VT?

I was sat one afternoon in January 2012 researching San Francisco on my laptop. I wanted advice on hotels, locations, people's experiences and tips. I'd not long since come back from a 5 day trip there and wanted to go back for about a month! I'd fallen in love!

I came across Virtual Tourist.

I was amazed. I started to read through members pages on San Francisco and their experiences and tips were just what I was looking for.
I wrote a status on my facebook page telling people about the site and the fact that REAL PEOPLE write the reviews and share their experiences! I couldn't believe that a site like this existed! I was so excited!!
A facebook friend then commented on my status and told me that she was a member of VT. I knew she was a member of a cyber travel community, but I didn't realise it was this one!
Gillybob then went on to tell me how fabulous VT was, how she has made so many friends all over the world and travelled far and wide. She told me before long I'd be hooked . . . . . and she was right!!

I think you need to know . . .

I am a mad Manchester City fan and will never, ever change!

I'm an active member of the Reddish Blues supporters branch. I have recently been accepted onto the committee as Charities Officer and have the most fun with the committee members planning, organising, implementing and taking part in various events!

I go to all of the matches I can - home and away.
This has led me to travel more of europe (with our recent sucess!). It's a completely different experience and view of a place when you are with football fans. Don't always believe what you hear - the majority of us are a very friendly bunch, who enjoy supporting our team and having fun meeting people.

I've been lucky enough to watch the Super Blues play Juventus in Turin (Italy) and Porto (Portugal)!
There is always a small group of us, of varying ages, that travel together. Collectively, we love the football, we love Man City, we enjoy a drink (or five!), we enjoy appreciating the culture and exploring where we are.

So thank you Man City, another reason why I feel you in my heart - travel!
CTID

My first mini VT meet!

Well, after feeling rather nervous all day, I did it! I've been to my first VT meet!! Granted it was only a small one, but it was great fun meeting people. It was organised as Malena (MelenaN) was in Manchester for a day and night from Sweden.
We sat and shared a meal and a few drinks together. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be - I really don't know why I was so nervous! Everybody made me feel so comfortable and welcome. I had a great time! So, my first ever VT meet to go down in my VT history book, Monday 27th February 2012! Woo hoo! Can't wait for the Halifax meet now!

Thanks to Sue (suvanki), Gillian (Gillybob), Malena (MalenaN), Gareth (Balam), Evan (Evenith666) and Alyson (alyf1961), I had a brilliant night!!!

My first EuroMeet!

And I havn't been a VTer for 6 months yet!!!
BERGAMO, Italy was the destination for 2012.

It's a very overwhelming experience, but one not to be missed. I'm not the most confident of people and after I'd booked it I had regrets.
All I can say is that I had a marvellous time! I met really lovely people and some real characters! I had fun and learnt so much about the city. I enjoyed exploring Citta Bassa and Citta Alta, and my hotel was ace too!
I took Miko as my VA which was also an experience, and recieved some wonderful gifts from fellow VTers.

Have a look at my Bergamo pages and travellogues to see what I got up to!

Since I joined VT (16.1.12) I've travelled to ...

Liverpool (England), Porto (Portugal), Side (Turkey), Manavgat (Turkey), Gundogdu (Turkey), Antalya (Turkey), Stoke (England), Bergamo (Italy), Lecco (Italy), Swansea (Wales), in and around Manchester (England), in and around Stockport (England), Wolverhampton (England), Newcastle (England), Cannock (England), Nottingham (England), Matlock Bath (England), Birmingham (England), Skipton (England), Bakewell (England), Gulliver's World Warrington (England), Sheffield (England), Halifax (England), Saskatoon (Canada), Prince Albert (Canada), Waskesiu (Canada), Martinsville (Canada), Eyam (England) and have written about many wonderful places I've had the pleasure of visiting before i discovered VT!

I hope you enjoy my pages! :)

• Intro Updated Apr 3, 2013

• Updated Comment
    Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Have a great birthday, Hayley!

Other comments
  • SONG's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Haven't been in VT in a couple weeks, so I missed your birthday. Hope it was fabulous.

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2014 at 2:51 AM

sorry happy belated birthday x

• Benson35's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Many thanks for all of my birthday wishes! Fingers crossed I'll be graduating in July so you'll be 'seeing' me about again! X

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Happy belated Birthday! GBU.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Belated birthday greetings from the red side of Mcr

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Hope you had a great birthday, see you soon, Dave

• Rixie's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Belated birthday greetings from California, Hayley!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Hello there, just dropping by to wish you a very happy birthday and a great year to come although I see you have not been here for a while. I do hope everything is OK with you. or perhaps you have jsut been busy on other sites. Anyway, very best wishes and I hope you had a great day.

fergy.

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Hayley, I hope you have a super birthday and a year packed with memorable travel!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Benson35's Profile Photo

Benson35

“Decide, explore, have fun, love”

Real Name