"Oatman, Arizona - A Big Bang for No Buck" Top 5 Page for this destination Oatman by BobandBon

Oatman Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 106 photos

Tongue in Cheek

I love camp and kitsch when I'm in the mood for fun and both are alive and well in dusty, old Oatman, Arizona. It's an old mining town with a tourist twist and my only regret is they don't keep the cars off the main street; although to be fair, it is the main thoroughfare to Kingman, Arizona, and now that I think on it - anywhere else when departing from Oatman.

The street is littered with stores aptly named to reflect the town's daily barrage of ravenous burros and should you be an inveterate shopper of all things unnecessary, then this is your desert oasis. You'll find lots to ogle and lust after in wood adorned shops like "The Classy Ass' and "Jackass Junction".

Foot in Poop

One of the most appealing attractions is the chance to get up close to a personable burro that in no time will be eating out of your hand. Carrots and feed are available in many of the stores for $1.00 and with the exception of the babies (who wear little stickers with the words, "Don't feed me" in the middle of their foreheads) all will happily graze your hand with a raspy tongue as they accept your offering.

A note of caution though - as fun as it is to follow your eyes with your feet, the evidence of burro invasion is everywhere. Look down before you leap. On this, I am the voice of authority as my shoe will attest.

Gun in Hand

Somebody robbed the bank – oh mercy me! Wait, somebody robbed the bank robber – oh woe is he.

Gunfight!

Will they survive?

Stick around till noon and you’ll soon know the answer. Fun for everyone!

• Pros:Campy, kitschy and best of all - free!
  • Cons:Too much shopping - too little history.
  • In a nutshell:Good free fun for everyone!
  • Last visit to Oatman: Feb 2012
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2012

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Wow, you found the place and I agree with you about the route from Kingman. You find a´photo (I have more also) from my Route 66 pages and there is travellogue #10. Those crosses were in one of the curves on the road. Very nice photos, thank you.

BobandBon

“There’s no such thing as “lost” – you’re always somewhere!”

Badges & Stats in Oatman