"Banja Luka - Krajina beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Banja Luka by Odiseya

Banja Luka Travel Guide: 215 reviews and 399 photos

City of youth

I was study here and I have good memories.

The main sightseeing

Banja Luka is a City with long tradition.
Banja Luka is first mentioned in 1494. in the charter of Hungarian King Vladislav II Jagiellon and it was issued in Buda in Latin, although there was a indication that the town existed before. Prehistoric archaeological sites and objects that are found in them provide evidence of the existence of human communities in this region since the epoch musterien from 50,000 to 35,000 years BC.
Today is administrative, cultural, economic center and a official capital of Republika Srpska, one of two entity in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The Legend of Banjalukan - author unknown

"Long ago, even while they walked the earth giants and dwarfs, Vrbas stole a silver flake with dragon wings, thirsty guards imagination and great treasures in the hills, while one year coming down from his hiding place to the stone banks of the river to drink green water.
Exactly at that time, on a hill near the present town he lived such a giant with his infant son. Since it was time to land our people God sent a great pool, a hill on which the giant lived decides to turn into a volcano to burn all that water is not swallowed. Yet before the end of the world and his life, the old giant premonition of disaster and make the boat put a newborn male.
Son called his name BANJALUKAN.

Then he called an eagle, and said that it takes away some place safe. Eagle obeyed boat with a child transfers to a high ridge where the water is not submerged, and below which will sprout many centuries later a big city.

Water is withdrawn, the volcano ceased, Banjalukan grow and settlement basis, with people engendering a boat that made ​​him the father of the ridge the Ottoman conquerors of whom would later call mans, put on the Vrbas.

For each of the memory remains at something. Volcanic Mountain people named Tutnjevac, settlement Bajalukanovo-Banja Luka, and the boats that Gradiša on the Vrbas looks like first VRBASKA boat gigantic child. Spitz boat had aquiline beak shape in honor of the bird that saved the child from the flood. Human descendants of Banjalukan who drove the boats had a stocky build and with giant force, Vrbas is not feared, time and knew him well so that this love runs today .... "

author unknown

• Pros:Culture and arts festival
  • Cons:many prejudice about this City
  • In a nutshell:City of youth
  • Last visit to Banja Luka: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Oct 8, 2013

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Your comment about life not being a race is one I've always used. Thankfully I'm not alone. It's good that we can find out about places like Banja Luka through your pages Aleksandra. Thank you

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Lots of good shopping tips with much needed information!

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Thank you! Shopping is one of good reasons to visit city.

• Avieira67's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Very interesting tips about Banja Luka. And about the islamic culture in the city? How is the rebuilt of Ferhadija Mosque?

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I planning to put all my pages under permanently construction as I think it would be for many things in all over region and in this process we will grow by increasing our knowledge, healing our wounds and it will put peace in our souls.

• Avieira67's Profile Photo
      Jun 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Thank you very much. I will follow your page about Banja Luka.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Great tips

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Thank you! I am glad you liked! I still have many stories to share!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

An excellent introduction to your country. Will come back and read more. I find it so hard to read the Cyrillic language, especially if it is written in capital letters.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Thank you! I am glad you liked!
      I try to always add and "official name of institution on local language" (on every my pages!) to help potential visitors.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Jan 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Yes, that is a good idea, I do the same if the name is in Icelandic.

Odiseya Used To Live Here!

Odiseya

“Life is not a race, but travel in which we need to enjoy in every step we make.”

Badges & Stats in Banja Luka

Have you been to Banja Luka?

Latest Activity in Banja Luka