Amsterdam Sports & Outdoors Tips by Aunt_Bertha
Amsterdam Sports & Outdoors: 44 reviews and 58 photos
Relaxing Gracht Boat Watching
Another great sport in Amsterdam is leisurely strolling along the many grachts (canals) and watching zillions of large and small, fast and slow boats float by.
Since both my boy-friend and I enjoy being around water, we had a great time gracht walking and boat watching. Not only will you find interesting architecture along the grachts, but also many interesting, cheerful and colorful boats with equally cheerful and colorful boaters on the grachts. Often the boaters will wave at you and in most cases they'll happily wave back if you wave at them first. And if you get tired of walking and just want to watch boats, you'll usually find benches or other comfortable spots at a gracht to sit down and to continue your boat watching. If you're a life-on-the-edge person, you may prefer sitting on the edge of a gracht and dangling your feet above the water surface while boat watching.
Watching boats always makes me hungry (especially since many of the Amsterdam boaters always seem to be eating something delicious on the deck of their boats), so it's a good idea to bring a picnic lunch and beverages. Happy relaxing boat watching!
Equipment: Any picturesque gracht (and almost all of them are) will do. You can't miss them, in fact, if you're not cautious, you'll be able to fall into one without problems.
Address: Any Amsterdam gracht (canal)
Directions: Anywhere in Amsterdam, the city is full of grachts.
Bicycle Watching in Vondel Park
A nice and relaxing sport in Amsterdam is bicycle watching. And bicycle watching in Vondel Park is even more relaxing as it's a great place to sit around in, have a picnic lunch, and watch a multitude of bicycles in all shapes and colors drift by.
We relaxed, picnicked and bicycle-watched for at least 2 hours, which was a welcome break for our feet from walking around in Amsterdam all day.
Vondel Park is a nice and large park, located in Amsterdam's Oud-Zuid neighborhood, west of (and not too far from) Leidseplein (Leidse Square) and Museumplein (Museum Square). The park was opened in 1865, originally named "Nieuwe Park" (New Park) and later renamed to "Vondelpark", after the 17th century author and poet Joost van den Vondel. My excuse for never having read any of his works is that his books are most likely out of print these days. You'll have the chance to say hello to Joost van den Vondel near a small lake. He also enjoys resting and watching bicycles, so you'll always find him at that very same lake in exactly the same posture. That's not really so unusual, I guess that's just what happens to someone who has turned into a statue.
Equipment: Bicycles, feet, preferably a picnic lunch and definitely beverages (as the beverage vending stall, or rather vending cart, is way too expensive) and walking (or even sitting around) in Vondel Park will make you quite thirsty after a while.
Address: Amsterdam Oud-Zuid
Directions: West of (and not too far from) Leidseplein (Leidse Square) and Museumplein (Museum Square).
Caution! The website below is in Dutch only.
More Reviews (1)
Aunt_Bertha's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Voroklini Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mizpe Ramon Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Speyer Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Schwetzingen Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Castelnou Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Basel Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Zurrieq Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Colera Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 148 Reviews, 172 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 196 Reviews, 321 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 253 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Dam Square- 91 Reviews, 168 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 214 Reviews, 361 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 168 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 69 Reviews, 106 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Coffee(Cannabis)shops- 125 Reviews, 136 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do