"Strasbourg" Strasbourg by Aunt_Bertha
Strasbourg Travel Guide: 955 reviews and 2,886 photos
Strasbourg was founded by the Romans and called Argentoratum (a place where silver was discovered). Its current name is of German origin and means "Castle on the Road", which sounds almost too modern - as if it were a mobile fortress or something. Strasbourg has always been an interesting mix of Franco-German culture. The city is located in the French region of Alsace, close to the German border along the Ill river, not far from the Rhine, the Vosges, and the Black Forest on the other side of the Rhine.
Strasbourg is a university town, a well-known manufacturing and engineering center, and the seat of the European Parliament. All this and more make it quite a busy city, but it hasn't lost its charme and savoir-vivre. It has a rich history, a famous cathedral, and a number of interesting art museums.
One of my most favorite places in Strasbourg is its medieval center around the cathedral called La Pétite-France with lots of half-timbered houses, cafés and restaurants with a cozy atmosphere as well as Strasbourg's oldest building "Maison Kammerzell".
I took this photo here at "Place Gutenberg", which is within easy reach on foot from the cathedral. Gutenberg Square was named after the inventor of the printing press and book printing in movable type. He was born in Mainz, Germany around 1400 and he later lived and worked in Strasbourg. As a result Strasbourg became a famous printing center. I'm sure Gutenberg will be overjoyed if you read one or two of your favorite books to him. You can meet him in his monumental reincarnation in the middle of "Place Gutenberg".
- Pros:Charming and savoir-vivre atmosphere.
- Cons:Air pollution.
- In a nutshell:A city full of character that I enjoy visiting frequently.
Aunt_Bertha's Related Pages
Strasbourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marchés de Noël in Strasbourg"
- "WHICH COUNTRY DO I BELONG TO!"
- "weekend in Strasbourg"
- "Strasbourg - At the crossroads of Europe"
- "The Best of Both Worlds"
- "First stop Strasbourg......"
- "European town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Strasbourg
- Hotels in Strasbourg
- Transportation in Strasbourg
- Nightlife in Strasbourg
- Restaurants in Strasbourg
- Shopping in Strasbourg
- Warnings and Dangers in Strasbourg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Strasbourg
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Strasbourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Strasbourg
Top 10 Pages
- Voroklini Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mizpe Ramon Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Speyer Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Schwetzingen Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Castelnou Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Basel Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Zurrieq Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Colera Intro, 1 review, 4 photos