"Vienne" Vienne by Aunt_Bertha
Vienne Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 11 photos
Vienne was an oppidum, in other words a celtic town, founded by the tribe of the Allobroges. Later it was captured by the Romans who called it "Vienna" and that's how it got its present-day name. Vienne is sometimes confused with today's Vienna in Austria, which the Romans, however, had named "Vindobona".
Vienne is located about 30 km south of Lyon along the Isère river. The city is famous for its jazz festival in July, which we missed unfortunately as we visited Vienne in May. I was totally impressed by Vienne since we first arrived there in the evening and the place looked like an enchanted, medieval wonderland with perfect illumination to enhance the most beautiful spots. We were wondering if this place was for real, but we found out that day-time Vienne was equally magic. The charming, narrow streets, all the historic buildings and the city's charm made strolling around in Vienne a great pleasure. And Vienne is full of surprises. When we turned around another corner, we almost tripped over a...well, read on in my tip.
- Pros:A medieval, charming wonderland.
- Cons:It makes you wonder, if all this is for real...although I wouldn't consider this a real con.
- In a nutshell:A magic place to visit!
Aunt_Bertha's Related Pages
Vienne Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Vienne
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Vienne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienne
Top 10 Pages
- Voroklini Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mizpe Ramon Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Speyer Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Schwetzingen Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Castelnou Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Basel Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Zurrieq Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Colera Intro, 1 review, 4 photos