"Vienne" Vienne by Aunt_Bertha

Vienne Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 11 photos

France, Vienne

Vienne was an oppidum, in other words a celtic town, founded by the tribe of the Allobroges. Later it was captured by the Romans who called it "Vienna" and that's how it got its present-day name. Vienne is sometimes confused with today's Vienna in Austria, which the Romans, however, had named "Vindobona".

Vienne is located about 30 km south of Lyon along the Isère river. The city is famous for its jazz festival in July, which we missed unfortunately as we visited Vienne in May. I was totally impressed by Vienne since we first arrived there in the evening and the place looked like an enchanted, medieval wonderland with perfect illumination to enhance the most beautiful spots. We were wondering if this place was for real, but we found out that day-time Vienne was equally magic. The charming, narrow streets, all the historic buildings and the city's charm made strolling around in Vienne a great pleasure. And Vienne is full of surprises. When we turned around another corner, we almost tripped over a...well, read on in my tip.

• Pros:A medieval, charming wonderland.
  • Cons:It makes you wonder, if all this is for real...although I wouldn't consider this a real con.
  • In a nutshell:A magic place to visit!
  • Last visit to Vienne: Jun 2014
  • Intro Updated Nov 6, 2014

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM

It looks like nice place! I didn't know about it! Thank you!

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
      Nov 6, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Yes, there are global crisis outcomes.
      I like to see more pages about less known places. And that is great contribution to VT and to all of us who wont to be independent travelers.

• Aunt_Bertha's Profile Photo
      Dec 16, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Yes, unfortunately...all those global crises.
      Happy to know that you enjoy reading pages about lesser known places. I like to visit those places.

Aunt_Bertha

“I played the lotto and won a motto.”

Badges & Stats in Vienne