"Teotihuacan" Top 5 Page for this destination Teotihuacán by acemj

Teotihuacán Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 636 photos

On my last visit to Mexico City, I wasn't sure if I would visit the pyramids of Teotihuacan, but after talking to a few locals, the consensus was that it should not be missed. Looking back, I'm glad that I visited, but after seeing the mystical, Mayan empire of Tikal in Guatemala, I'm not sure if anything can match its impact. The sparseness of the surroundings here in Teotihuacan is noticeable from the tops of the imposing pyramids and the constant pestering of the street vendors can be annoying, however a little research can make a visit here much more enjoyable.

A little research will reveal that an organized civilization once thrived here and the creation of this civilization required incredible effort and sacrifice. Knowing this will give you a greater appreciation of what you're looking at just as taking an art appreciation class can improve a visit to the Louvre.

The stone plaque pictured here shows that Teotihuacan is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, one of 25 in Mexico!

I suggest waking up early and getting to this ancient Pre-Hispanic city before the crowds arrive and before the heat of the day really kicks in. I visited on a Sunday when admission is free and crowds are thick and I didn't arrive until midday, so the sun was pretty warm (and this was November!). Do yourself a favor and get here early. Despite what the guidebooks might say, a half day trip should be sufficient to see the entire site.

• Last visit to Teotihuacán: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2006

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Now, we KNOW you ain't giving up the Latin nightlife to get to the ruins early. ;> Pyramid of the Suns very cool but I agree that a half day looks to be enough. Only problem is none of your great restaurant tips.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Great pictures of the huge pyramis I have to visit sooner or later... good, practical info as well.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2006 at 3:09 AM

Great page Mark with some very good tips! A few weeks ago I came across Teotihuacan culture in a museum here. It got me fascinated and it was great to see your page about this place! Thanks :-)

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2006 at 3:24 PM

I haven't explored much past Baja and border towns .... this just shows me I NEED to get into REAL Mexico :) Thanks for visiting my little teeny pages - and for sharing your experiences on yours.

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2006 at 11:12 AM

This site looks so huge. The Mayan sites I visited in Yucatan are much smaller. Great info and pics.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2006 at 9:21 PM

Wow... I thought the lady was just break-dancing!

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Teotihuacán

Have you been to Teotihuacán?

Latest Activity in Teotihuacán