"Teotihuacan" Top 5 Page for this destination Teotihuacán by acemj
Teotihuacán Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 636 photos
On my last visit to Mexico City, I wasn't sure if I would visit the pyramids of Teotihuacan, but after talking to a few locals, the consensus was that it should not be missed. Looking back, I'm glad that I visited, but after seeing the mystical, Mayan empire of Tikal in Guatemala, I'm not sure if anything can match its impact. The sparseness of the surroundings here in Teotihuacan is noticeable from the tops of the imposing pyramids and the constant pestering of the street vendors can be annoying, however a little research can make a visit here much more enjoyable.
A little research will reveal that an organized civilization once thrived here and the creation of this civilization required incredible effort and sacrifice. Knowing this will give you a greater appreciation of what you're looking at just as taking an art appreciation class can improve a visit to the Louvre.
The stone plaque pictured here shows that Teotihuacan is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, one of 25 in Mexico!
I suggest waking up early and getting to this ancient Pre-Hispanic city before the crowds arrive and before the heat of the day really kicks in. I visited on a Sunday when admission is free and crowds are thick and I didn't arrive until midday, so the sun was pretty warm (and this was November!). Do yourself a favor and get here early. Despite what the guidebooks might say, a half day trip should be sufficient to see the entire site.
If you're coming to Teotihuacan from Mexico City, plan on spending a half day. Some people make it a full day trip, but... more travel advice
At the top of the Pyramid of the Sun, people touch one hand to the stone and raise the other toward the sun. I'm not... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Teotihuacán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Under the Hothothothot Mexican Sun"
- "Meeting the gods"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Teotihuacán
- Hotels in Teotihuacán
- Transportation in Teotihuacán
- Nightlife in Teotihuacán
- Restaurants in Teotihuacán
- Shopping in Teotihuacán
- Warnings and Dangers in Teotihuacán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Teotihuacán
- 13 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Teotihuacán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Teotihuacán
Photos in TeotihuacánSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos