"Plantation Row" Charles City by acemj
Charles City Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 179 photos
The James River Plantation Row includes a number of old southern plantations, VT member b1bob and I picked Berkeley because of its fame as the site of the first Thanksgiving.
Berkeley Plantation was originally built in 1726 on the banks of the James River. It was owned by Benjamin Harrison IV, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and three time governor of Virginia. His son, William Henry Harrison, like his father, was born at Berkeley and later became the 9th President of the United States. His grandson, Benjamin Harrison VI also became President (the 23rd U.S. President).
One interesting fact that I learned while visiting Berkeley is the difference between a "plantation" and a "farm." A plantation has only one crop while a farm can produce many crops.
Admission to Berekely Plantation is $10.50 for an adult.
The other plantations along the James River include Shirley, Westover, Evelynton and Sherwood Forest.
The plantations were built on the river because the river was the main highway of the day. It aided in transporting not... more travel advice
There is much more to the plantation than just the house. While the tour of the house is very interesting, be sure to... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Charles City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of James River plantations"
- "b1bob & friends go to Charles City, VA"
- "Plantation Row"
- "Charles City, Virginia..home of plantation 2001"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charles City
- Hotels in Charles City
- Transportation in Charles City
- Nightlife in Charles City
- Restaurants in Charles City
- Shopping in Charles City
- Warnings and Dangers in Charles City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charles City
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Charles City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charles City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos