"A little R & R in Pawleys Island" Pawleys Island by acemj

Pawleys Island Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 69 photos

The summer of '97 had its ups and downs. Like all summers in the Carolinas, it was HOT and I must confess, I'm sort of a wimp when it comes to the heat. So when my girlfriend at the time told me that her family was renting a five bedroom beach house on Pawleys Island and that I was welcome to come and relax, I jumped at the chance.

We spent the vacation waking up early and jogging along the shoreline with the low sunlight glinting off the stripes on our sneakers. We tossed the football and frisbee in the sand and sat out on the pier and dangled our feet in the cool waters. Her dad took me shrimpin' and fishin' and late in the evening we'd eat the fruit (er, fish) of our labors. One afternoon, we took the jet skis out and tried to see who could catch the most air by heading straight for the waves and jumping off their crests. But maybe the best thing about the whole vacation was just resting in the shade of the porch, drinking iced sun tea in the ocean breeze and listening to her grandma telling family stories. It doesn't get much better.

• Intro Written Oct 17, 2002

• der_geograf's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2004 at 1:47 PM

Looks like a cool place, Mark! Great page! No hurricanes that summer, so I guess you didn't encounter the "Gray Man" of Pawley's Island? LOL!

• kaloz's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2004 at 7:28 PM

Sounds like a relaxing stay. So who got the most air?

• Docu2001's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2003 at 8:45 AM

Did you not encounter one of the Ghosts of Pawley's?

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2003 at 5:55 PM

Great, quiet and relaxing place and page! Amazing pictures and lovely nature there!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2003 at 11:15 AM

great tips - nice place. we have friends in myrtle Beach

• tony248's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2003 at 7:07 PM

Just the kind of place we have been looking for. Quiet. Relaxing. As much as we love kids, it's great to find an adult place to go. Thanks!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2003 at 10:58 AM

How about a photo of the St. Pawley gurl? ;)

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2003 at 1:12 PM

What an ideal getaway from the heat and everything else:-) You can't get much closer to the beach that where you stayed.. lucky you.

• AndyRG's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2003 at 8:11 AM

That sunrise is magical!

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2003 at 2:19 AM

What a beautiful sunrise!
    Good "warning", you always have to respect the nature!

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Pawleys Island

Have you been to Pawleys Island?

Latest Activity in Pawleys Island