"Columbia: South Carolina's Capital City" Top 5 Page for this destination Columbia by acemj

Columbia Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 271 photos

Columbia is only about a hundred miles south of my home in Charlotte, North Carolina and yet I've only been here a few times. My cousin used to go to school down here and she was kind enough to give me a tour of the place. I really like the city's riverside location and sense of history. There are interesting historical markers paying homage to buildings, battle sites and cemeteries spread throughout the city. The zoo is one of the best I've seen I was surprised to discover some great museums and artwork here as well.

More recently (March of 2004), I gave VTer b1bob a tour of Columbia. We had a full day walking around the majority of downtown, visiting the State House and much more. Nat wanted to go visit some of his relatives at Columbia's Riverbanks Zoo, but unfortunately, we ran out of time. ;-)

• Last visit to Columbia: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2004

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Great useful tips! Thanks.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2007 at 7:07 AM

Interesting tips and historical comments Mark! I enjoyed your humor too! I still think of USC as Trojan territory, but my son attended this USC while stationed in South Carolina.

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2005 at 8:23 AM

Appreciate your tips! Will use them on my upcoming trip to Columbia.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2004 at 7:16 AM

Great to see you and Nat in conservative Columbia - I wish to be there with you! A lot of interesting info and opinions and surely beautiful pictures! Controversial flag? - interesting!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2004 at 8:12 PM

I had fun taking the tour with you. The Confederate flag simply represents the unique Southern culture, not hatred towards any one person or group. There's no such thing as a right never to be offended.

• oldmonk_92129's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2004 at 11:42 PM

I have always wanted to visit the heart of the Dixie myself. Will someday.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2004 at 5:38 AM

Columbia sure seems like an enjoyable place to visit!! SC is one of my missing states......

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Columbia

Have you been to Columbia?

Latest Activity in Columbia