Philadelphia Favorite Tips by acemj Top 5 Page for this destination
Philadelphia Favorites: 149 reviews and 156 photos
Ben Franklin Parkway from Art Museum steps
Favorite thing: The Ben Franklin Parkway connects City Hall with the Philadelphia Museum of Art and also is a conduit between Center City and Fairmount Park. Along the way, you'll find the Franklin Institute, the Free Library, the Rodin Museum, the Cathdral of S.S. Peter and Paul and other interesting sights. Originally, it was supposed to be Philly's version of the Champs Elysees, but I wouldn't go so far to draw that comparison.
Favorite thing: Study up on your history before you visit Philadelphia and you'll be rewarded with a more satisfying visit. It's great to walk the same streets as George Washington, Ben Franklin, John Penn, Robert Morris and many other icons of American history.
Here's a shot of the interior of Christ Church, where all of the above mentioned men worshipped at one time or the other.
Favorite thing: If you're young, stroll up and down South Street.
If you're young at heart, stroll through Old City and the historic district. While there, have a cafe at Old City Coffee pictured here. It's one of my favorite spots.
Fondest memory: The Art Museum is world-class, the food sublime.
Favorite thing: You gotta love a city on a river, and Philly is divided from Camden, New Jersey by the Delaware. The Ben Franklin Bridge spans the river and gives good views back to the city and over the water.
Favorite thing: There's the Liberty Bell, the LOVE monument and of course, the Columbus Obelisk down at Penn's Landing. All over town, you'll find monuments, historical markers and pieces of interesting art. Philly, isn't nearly as big as New York and the advantage of that to me is that it's much more manageable. You can spend a weekend here and actually leave with the impression that you have a handle on the place. Don't get me wrong, there's enough to do for a lifetime in Philadelphia, but you just won't feel so overwhelmed like you do in some larger cities.
Favorite thing: The Corn Exchange National Bank building is on the corner of 2nd and Chestnut in Old City. It's where my brother-in-law's architectural firm has its office and is a pretty cool building.
My nephew has a tough life!
Favorite thing: Here I am hanging out with my nephew in Independence National Historic Park in Center City. Besides Independence Hall and all of the historical sights here, it's also a great place to find some peace and a nice spot of grass to relax on.
Check out http://www.nps.gov/inde/ for more information.
Favorite thing: There are some great parks in Center City to break up the monotony of cement and skyscrapers. A bit of green space can help to keep the sanity of city dwellers in tact and Here is a shot of Washington Square, which is located near Society Hill on the east side of town.
Favorite thing: Philly is a great city to take a stroll. Old City, Rittenhouse Square, South Street, Society Hill, Washington Square and many other areas are full of interesting shops and sights and you'll find locals strolling around all over the place.
Here's a picture of my nephew and my sister in front of Philadelphia Java Company just off of South Street. This is a great are for a stroll and this coffee shop is really great, especially if you have a kid like my nephew. They have an area in the back with a couch and they're really kid-friendly. My nephew was having a great time rummaging through a big box of toys that they keep here while we enjoyed our lattes.
Fondest memory: Philadelphia Java Company is located at 518 S. 4th Street just off of South Street. Their telephone number is 215-928-1811.
More Reviews (145)
- See All Try these!
- See All Belgium Beer Paradise
- See All Asian grocer
- See All Festivals and goings on . . .
- See All Camera gear
- See All Laurel Hill Cemetery
acemj's Related Pages
Philadelphia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fantastic Philly! My homebase."
- "PHILADELPHIA--Brotherly Love And More"
- "Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley"
- "City of Brotherly Love"
- "I LIKE my history with a shot and a beer!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Philadelphia
- Hotels in Philadelphia
- Transportation in Philadelphia
- Nightlife in Philadelphia
- Restaurants in Philadelphia
- Shopping in Philadelphia
- Warnings and Dangers in Philadelphia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Philadelphia
- 154 Reviews
- 174 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 136 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Philadelphia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philadelphia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (120)
- Philadelphia Museum of Art- 57 Reviews, 82 Photos
- Independence - Carpenter's Hall- 83 Reviews, 143 Photos
- ChinaTown- 19 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Penn's Landing- 23 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Liberty Bell- 51 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Reading Terminal Market- 25 Reviews, 23 Photos
- City Hall- 35 Reviews, 59 Photos
- South Street- 13 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Christ Church- 22 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Rodin Museum- 19 Reviews, 34 Photos
See All Philadelphia Things to Do