"The Port City of Wilmington" Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington by acemj
Wilmington Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 402 photos
How could I live three hours from Wilmington for nine years and not ever visit? What a mistake! Wilmington's beauty is not dramatic like Prague or San Francisco, but it's as certain as the flow of the river. She takes her time in dazzling you rather than coming on strong with bold first impressions. Her charms are subtle and easy to sink into, like a comfortable chair or a slowly engrossing novel.
Historically, the town was settled by European traders because of its river location and its potential as a port city. Soon, it began to live up to this potential and quickly became one of the world's most important ports for the export of such items as naval stores and cotton. Fortunately for us, much of this history has been preserved in Wilmington's surprisingly big historic district, a 200 block treasure that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In recent years, Wilmington has become a hotbed for Hollywood productions and artistic endeavors. An eclectic array of restaurants and shops lines the streets of downtown and a youthful spirit of progressive thinking is easy to discover by engaging a willing local into a discussion over a coffee in one of the city's many cafes.
They also have desserts and a full bar. It's not just a coffee shop. There's a tattoo parlor next door and every time I... more travel advice
Every time I walked by this place it was full of people who looked like locals. That's gotta be a good sign. I didn't... more travel advice
- See All The University of North...
- See All Go shopping in downtown...
- See All Wilmington International...
- Head to Front Street and the...
- Packing List
acemj's Related Pages
Wilmington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wilmington - Not Just A Beach Area . . ."
- "wilmington, north carolina"
- "Cape Fear Coast Line"
- "Wilmington, NC"
- "The Port City of Wilmington"
- "Wonderful Wilmington!"
- "Wilmington and the Cape Fear Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wilmington
- Hotels in Wilmington
- Transportation in Wilmington
- Nightlife in Wilmington
- Restaurants in Wilmington
- Shopping in Wilmington
- Warnings and Dangers in Wilmington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wilmington
- 38 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Wilmington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wilmington
Photos in WilmingtonSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos