"Concord, NC: hyped for all the wrong reasons" Concord by acemj

Concord Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 36 photos

There is no doubt that Concord, North Carolina is best known for two things: Nascar and shopping. Unfortunately for me, those are two things that just don't interest me all that much. Nascar is the company behind stock car racing in the U.S. and no other region is so enthusiastic about the sport than greater Charlotte, which includes Concord. The racing venue, Lowes Motor Speedway, seats a quarter million fans and seeing a race, if nothing else, is definitely quite a spectacle.

The big shopping attraction is Concord Mills Mall, which has somehow become the biggest tourist attraction in the state (which I think if very sad and pathetic!!). The place bills itself as an outlet mall, but don't expect to save all that much money here.

If you and I are like-minded, your best bet is to make a quick visit to downtown Concord and check out the charming main street (Union Street), the Old Cabarrus County Courthouse seen here, and take a quick walk through the adjacent neighborhood that is lined with stately Victorian mansions. In the evening, you could head on down Interstate 85 about ten miles and find plenty to do in Charlotte or you could stop by the George Washington Bookstore and Tavern for some good food and live music.

• Last visit to Concord: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 17, 2006

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2006 at 4:47 PM

Thanks for the view of Concord. We've been searching for one of my husband's old Navy buddies who lives there somewhere. I share your interests. Guess that's why I've been to Charlotte and not Concord. :-)

• Jan 17, 2005 at 11:15 AM

I agree that Concord mills is rather boring. Let me recommend a short drive to Park Drive on hwy 29 about three miles away from the shopping ctr. Heads to CLT ON 85, EXIT AT hARRIS BLVD, left on 29, mile and half on the left, good ole southern drive in.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2004 at 4:41 AM

Nicely balanced page -- I like your attitude!!!

• Apr 29, 2004 at 6:09 AM

You're right, there's not much to Concord besides Nascar and shopping! I have lived around the Concord area (in the past) all total for 6 years. You should check out Frank Liske park if you haven't already, it's a nice place to spend a weekend afternoon.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2004 at 5:07 PM

an interesting page and great pics, Mark ! ..So I have the Concorde and you have Concord, you have the empty racing-track and I have the sportscars for it... ;-)

• agarcia's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2004 at 5:08 AM

Hard to believe that in the country that counts among its marvels the Grand Canyon, the Niagara Falls, the Rocky Mountains,.....(List to large for space provided), the mayor tourist attraction is a boring shopping mall. A really informative page, Mark!

• AndyRG's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2004 at 8:01 PM

250.000 capacity! The page -and the cars...- fly like a Concorde!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2004 at 7:34 AM

Very good page with good suggestions, I like esp, Off The Beaten Path tips. Charlotte is on my future list for sure :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2004 at 12:37 PM

Thanks for the great insights on Concord! It looks as if we are of 'like mind' - the old County Courthouse looks so much more appealing to me than modern architecture! Still, it cannot be denied that just attending a NASCAR event would be an experience!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2004 at 8:25 AM

I enjoyed taking this trip with you to the racetrack, to the mall, and downtown. While it is a sad commentary that the mall is the most visited place in the state, you saw where I found some good bargains here.

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Concord

Have you been to Concord?

Latest Activity in Concord