"Concord, NC: hyped for all the wrong reasons" Concord by acemj
Concord Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 36 photos
There is no doubt that Concord, North Carolina is best known for two things: Nascar and shopping. Unfortunately for me, those are two things that just don't interest me all that much. Nascar is the company behind stock car racing in the U.S. and no other region is so enthusiastic about the sport than greater Charlotte, which includes Concord. The racing venue, Lowes Motor Speedway, seats a quarter million fans and seeing a race, if nothing else, is definitely quite a spectacle.
The big shopping attraction is Concord Mills Mall, which has somehow become the biggest tourist attraction in the state (which I think if very sad and pathetic!!). The place bills itself as an outlet mall, but don't expect to save all that much money here.
If you and I are like-minded, your best bet is to make a quick visit to downtown Concord and check out the charming main street (Union Street), the Old Cabarrus County Courthouse seen here, and take a quick walk through the adjacent neighborhood that is lined with stately Victorian mansions. In the evening, you could head on down Interstate 85 about ten miles and find plenty to do in Charlotte or you could stop by the George Washington Bookstore and Tavern for some good food and live music.
The Historic Cabarrus Courthouse dates to 1876 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The new... more travel advice
The North Carolina Zoo is really an excellent day trip from Concord, just up I-85 an hour or so north. The zoo is the... more travel advice
acemj's Related Pages
Concord Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Concord, North Carolina"
- "Concord, NC: hyped for all the wrong reasons"
- "Nice little Town!!"
- "Concord, NC"
- "Concord NC"
- "Concord North Carolina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Concord
- Transportation in Concord
- Nightlife in Concord
- Restaurants in Concord
- Shopping in Concord
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Concord
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Concord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concord
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos