"Chimney Rock Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Chimney Rock by acemj

Chimney Rock Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 86 photos

One of the most beautifully shot movies from a cinematographic standpoint in recent years, was the 1992 epic The Last of the Mohicans, starring Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe. I remember watching that movie in a theater in St. Paul, Minnesota and being amazed by the beauty of the location. That experience gave me a strong desire to visit the mountains of North Carolina but at the time, I didn't realize that only a year later in August of 1993 I'd be moving to Charlotte.

Still, my visit in November of 2003 was only the second time I had visited Chimney Rock Park. Instead, I usually choose Asheville, Linville or Crowder's Mountain when I get the urge for that clean mountain air. This was my first visit since joining Virtual Tourist and I hope this page does the park justice and shows at least a little of the beauty that it contains. However, if you really want to be inspired to visit, go rent the movie and you'll be dying to come.

I was hoping to catch the leaves at their peak color, but I missed it by about a week. Still, I did notice a few patches of bright red in the trees.

For more information on Chimney Rock park go to www.chimneyrockpark.com.

• Last visit to Chimney Rock: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 3, 2003

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2007 at 7:42 AM

Did they give out free samples at Moonshiner's Cave?

• Kara01's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2006 at 7:00 PM

Took a trip to Chimney Rock over the Memorial Holiday. Awesome!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2004 at 8:05 PM

What an impressively beautiful area. Amazing that the park is still privately owned. If only I lived 90 mins away from scenery like this.. fabulous coverage and tips. The elevator is a good idea for the unfit:-)

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2004 at 3:31 AM

Awesome Page! Awesome Place! Awesome Mark!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2003 at 7:02 AM

Thanks for the amazing tour of Chimney Rock! I thought the scenery looked vaguely familiar - I was in the Great Smoky Mts. of Tennessee not too long ago!

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2003 at 7:15 PM

What a wonderful page! Beautiful phots and very helpful information! Lure lake looks fantastic. The elevator sounds like the way to go! :o)

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2003 at 9:38 AM

Brilliant page with excellent and helpful tips! I bet Lake Lure lures a lot of tourists :-D

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2003 at 4:00 PM

excellent tips and pictures thanks for sharing

• salinhopt's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2003 at 3:50 PM

Wonderfull landscape Mark! The park is fantastic! But, i think it's quite expensive... nature should have free or less expensive prices. Great page. Thanks for your work.

• Spinka's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2003 at 9:29 AM

Now I finaly know how the Devil's Head looks like ;) Thx for sharing :)

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Chimney Rock

Have you been to Chimney Rock?

Latest Activity in Chimney Rock