"The Queen City of Charlotte, NC" Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte by acemj
Charlotte Travel Guide: 567 reviews and 652 photos
UPDATE: I moved to Philadelphia in July of '04, but Charlotte will always be a special place to me. I lived there longer than any other place to this point in my life and I know it well. If you have any questions about the Queen City, don't hesitate to shoot me an email
Welcome to my world and a virtual tour of Charlotte, North Carolina. If you are interested in the opinion of someone who is anything but mainstream, then you've arrived at the right place.
I've lived in Charlotte since 1993, so I certainly don't consider myself a native Charlottean (they're hard to find these days). I came here on a whim and ended up getting a degree and a job and somehow, I've managed to stay. Over the years I have been both impressed and disappointed in what the city has to offer.
On the surface, Charlotte is a city lacking a great deal of history and tradition. It is struggling to find an identity beyond its image as a corporate banking capital. In 1993, it appeared on course to rival Atlanta as the leading center of the New South.
My question is and always was "why would you want to be another Atlanta?"
Many Charlotteans, I believe, are starting to feel the same way and finding our own identity, our own niche will be the challenge of the new century. The longer I live here and the more people I talk to, the more I find out about the "hidden history" and the surviving culture of a small southern town that is quickly becoming a big time southern city.
Whenever someone comes to visit, the inevitable question is raised- "So, what's there to do in Charlotte?"- and after much consideration, the answer is usually, "Well, it's a great place to live, but not the first place I'd choose to visit." There is no single attraction that draws people to the Queen City, but when you take it as a whole, it's not a bad place to hang your hat.
Feel free to e-mail me with any questions/suggestions and brace yourself for some honest feedback.
Enjoy your travels.
p.s. Why is it called "Charlotte"? Charlotte was named after the British Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg, wife of George III. Ergo . . . "The Queen City" and "Mecklenburg" County.
Queen Charlotte statue at Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Over the last few years this page has grown into a beast. I've had a number of people email me and comment about how helpful it has been to them when considering Charlotte as a possible new hometown. However, if you're just planning a quick visit, I can understand how the size of this page is a little overwhelming. Feel free to browse whatever tips you'd like and skip the ones that don't interest you. If you want personalized recommendations about where to eat or what to see, just send me an email and I'll be glad to help.
If you happen to be in Charlotte on one of the rare days (a few a year) that it snows, the city will likely be shut... more travel advice
Located in the ritzy Ballantyne area of south Charlotte just past Piper Glen and I-485 on Rea Road, you'll find this... more travel advice
- See All The University of North Carolina at...
- See All Pineville
- See All Charlotte Bobcats, the NBA is back!!
- See All Looks can be deceiving
- See All 700 rooms!
acemj's Related Pages
Charlotte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Queen City of Charlotte, NC"
- "b1bob does Charlotte in a big way"
- "Charlotte, NC"
- "Queen City of the South"
- "Southern city.....southern charm"
- "Always a great place to visit"
- "Charlotte, NC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charlotte
- Hotels in Charlotte
- Transportation in Charlotte
- Nightlife in Charlotte
- Restaurants in Charlotte
- Shopping in Charlotte
- Warnings and Dangers in Charlotte
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charlotte
- 208 Reviews
- 263 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 331 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Charlotte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charlotte
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Hair Salon near Center"
- updated a Charlotte Travel Page "The Queen City of Charlotte, NC"
- Commented on one of etfromnc's Charlotte travel pages
- Wrote a Review Can't deal with the white stuff in Charlotte Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Can't deal with the white stuff"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 208 reviews, 263 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia Intro, 154 reviews, 181 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 105 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico City Intro, 63 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 82 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 47 reviews, 132 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 87 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 74 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos