"The Queen City of Charlotte, NC" Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte by acemj

Charlotte Travel Guide: 566 reviews and 652 photos

UPDATE: I moved to Philadelphia in July of '04, but Charlotte will always be a special place to me. I lived there longer than any other place to this point in my life and I know it well. If you have any questions about the Queen City, don't hesitate to shoot me an email

Welcome to my world and a virtual tour of Charlotte, North Carolina. If you are interested in the opinion of someone who is anything but mainstream, then you've arrived at the right place.

I've lived in Charlotte since 1993, so I certainly don't consider myself a native Charlottean (they're hard to find these days). I came here on a whim and ended up getting a degree and a job and somehow, I've managed to stay. Over the years I have been both impressed and disappointed in what the city has to offer.

On the surface, Charlotte is a city lacking a great deal of history and tradition. It is struggling to find an identity beyond its image as a corporate banking capital. In 1993, it appeared on course to rival Atlanta as the leading center of the New South.
My question is and always was "why would you want to be another Atlanta?"

Many Charlotteans, I believe, are starting to feel the same way and finding our own identity, our own niche will be the challenge of the new century. The longer I live here and the more people I talk to, the more I find out about the "hidden history" and the surviving culture of a small southern town that is quickly becoming a big time southern city.

Whenever someone comes to visit, the inevitable question is raised- "So, what's there to do in Charlotte?"- and after much consideration, the answer is usually, "Well, it's a great place to live, but not the first place I'd choose to visit." There is no single attraction that draws people to the Queen City, but when you take it as a whole, it's not a bad place to hang your hat.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions/suggestions and brace yourself for some honest feedback.

Enjoy your travels.

p.s. Why is it called "Charlotte"? Charlotte was named after the British Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg, wife of George III. Ergo . . . "The Queen City" and "Mecklenburg" County.

Queen Charlotte statue at Charlotte Douglas International Airport

Over the last few years this page has grown into a beast. I've had a number of people email me and comment about how helpful it has been to them when considering Charlotte as a possible new hometown. However, if you're just planning a quick visit, I can understand how the size of this page is a little overwhelming. Feel free to browse whatever tips you'd like and skip the ones that don't interest you. If you want personalized recommendations about where to eat or what to see, just send me an email and I'll be glad to help.

• Last visit to Charlotte: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 14, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

YOu have wonderful pictures and comments, and I returned wondering if I should go back and visit one day. I last left in 1981, and it has changed.

• Oct 2, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I've lived here my whole life and no one has every said 'Wuchyou no good' to me. Is that something that one of the northerners would say? I'm confused.

• Jan 15, 2010 at 7:46 AM

The biggest tourist destination thing is misleading.It's because a tourist is defined as someone outside their home county. Concord Mills is less than a mile from Mecklenburg County- the most populous county in the state.

• Dec 4, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I think the pricing listed here is low for RedRocks. Most protein based entrees range from $21-$30.00 which is a bit steep for standard American fare.

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Hello Mark, Outstanding pages. Thanks for the virtual tour. Tomas Eriksson :)

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Yes - we are truly blessed with so many things to see and do in the Charlotte area. Enjoyed it!

• CrystalBlue's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Great Charlotte page (coming from a 2nd generation Charlottean)! Makes me want to go visit my family.

• Jan 28, 2007 at 10:16 AM

It's the Discus. It used to spin back in the 70s.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 3:31 PM

Have you eaten at Aquavina? What did you think? Did I miss your tip on it?

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 7:51 AM

My only experience with Charlotte was to fly in or out of there when we lived in Florence,SC many years ago--didn't author James Dickey reside there? Your pictures of Charlotte were very pretty! THANKS!

acemj Used To Live Here!

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Charlotte

Have you been to Charlotte?