"Amazing Asheville" Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville by acemj

Asheville Travel Guide: 396 reviews and 980 photos

I lived in Charlotte from '93 until summer of '04, which is only a two hour drive from the mountain town of Asheville. I loved driving up for a weekend and exploring all that this charming, artistic town has to offer.
It's a great place to come as you are. The people here have a very open and accepting attitude toward young, free-spirits like a lot of us here on Virtual Tourist (and by young, I mean your spirit!).
Asheville is probably the best place I know to learn about mountain folk culture wth many craft stores and folk dance and culture celebrations throughout the year.
For me, Asheville is the place I go to just breathe clean air and to venture off into the mountains and find a trail that I can walk and not see another soul for hours.

The Biltmore Estate

George Vanderbilt's mansion is the number one tourist draw in Asheville and is definitely worth the trip all by itself. Do not miss this amazing place!

Sleepy, serene slopes

The Blue Ridge Mountains are so peaceful. They are far less dramatic than the mountains of the western United States. You won't see the jagged peaks like those of the Rockies, but this gentleness is their main appeal to me. This photo was taken from the Vanderbilt's backyard behind the Biltmore Estate.

• Last visit to Asheville: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 4, 2007

• sstewart74's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 10:10 AM

Yeah I had a early dinner there and I would have to agree. That I liked it.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2005 at 5:14 PM

We've always wanted to see Biltmore--your photos make Asheville very alluring...hope we can visit sometime soon.

• mickeyjane1's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2004 at 1:53 PM

like the site Mark, your nephew is very cute. Well done!

• annk's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2003 at 12:32 PM

I've only heard good things about the place and people. Thanks for the great page & hope to visit someday. It's not everyday you see the word spelunker being used.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2003 at 2:13 PM

Excellent page again! Blue Ridge Mountains look fantastic! I love your local customs tips!

• nicolettart's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2003 at 9:34 AM

The Biltmore Estate photos are awesome, especially your closeups!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2003 at 9:15 PM

I didn't get a chance to go to Asheville on the way to the Franklin area, but I see from your pictures that I MUST go.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2003 at 6:55 PM

It was great fun going there with you and getting an education on this place. Thank you for everything.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2003 at 8:51 AM

I've always heard that the Asheville area is beautiful--your photos confirm that fact.

• AndyRG's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2003 at 8:15 AM

"Dirty Dancing"? My... youth!

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Asheville

Have you been to Asheville?

Latest Activity in Asheville