"Asheboro" Asheboro by acemj

Asheboro Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 68 photos

One hit wonder?

Asheboro is one of those towns that is known for just one thing. Here, it's the North Carolina Zoological Park, the country's largest zoo in terms of acreage with over 500 acres of land. The setting is beautiful and the attractions are numerous. When it comes to zoos, I'm not easily impressed, having lived in San Diego, which boasts perhaps the world's best, but Asheboro's zoo is certainly worth a visit.

Beyond the domain of the animals, I didn't do much else in Asheboro. I took a quick trip to the North Carolina Aviation Museum located at the Asheboro Airport and I attempted to see the town's picturesque covered bridge (a sidetrip that was hampered by a blocked road and lack of 4 wheel drive on my car). If you're in Charlotte or Raleigh and you or perhaps your kids really want to see a zoo, this is a good destination that is great for a full or half day trip.

• Last visit to Asheboro: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 10, 2003

• TimDaoust's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 6:19 AM

Hey, thanks for all these great tips and pictures from the Asheboro Zoo. I haven't been in forever and I'm headed there today. Now I can get excited about it. Later on.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2005 at 9:55 PM

Great and amusing tips. I am not a fan of ZOO but I am curious where did you see dolphins with cigarettes in their mouths? :-) I would suit well among lazy locals and I''ll start to collect magnets (as a big spender, too).

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2003 at 12:02 AM

Mark ...great photos of the animals! but the Polar Bear is for sure the Hero! :-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2003 at 4:25 PM

Hmmm, I thought it was Ashville....lol. Got me with this one, but it is a nice looking zoo.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2003 at 7:22 AM

Hey.. real nice zoo page Mark.. Hmm.. sound like you're not the only one who buys a fridge magnet at the zoo.. another big spender here.. LOL...

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2003 at 7:29 PM

& this is all for you, Lion King ! ;-)

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2003 at 2:45 PM

Very impressive Zoo!! 500 acres!! Asheboro looks like a fun town!!

• Jul 11, 2003 at 6:26 AM

Kings are always lazy... The pictures of animals (in the travelogue too) are so nice!

• b1bob's Profile Photo

I love Animals..you captured the Captured amazingly natural. thanx Mark

acemj

“Be a life savor(er)”

Badges & Stats in Asheboro

Have you been to Asheboro?

Latest Activity in Asheboro